Wall vent for oven

What to do here. My new house has a wall vent instead of a hood for the oven and I'm not sure what to do here. There is a painted metal lid on the outside of the house and a fan inbetween. The only issue is that the original owner duck taped the whole thing over and I think its been that way for about 20 years. As much as I love the idea of peeling back the layers to expose all sorts of spiders, ants, termites, and maybe even a bird I don't want to basically create a 1 1/2 foot hole in my already air leaky house.
Anybody have any experience with them and whether it is something I might want to restore and get working again, or should I crack out the saw and replace it for good? I do want a vent for the oven, if only so my house doesn't smell like sauteed onions and baked cod.
Eigenvector wrote:

if there is a space for a range hood, i wouldn't hesitate to install a real hood. they are not big ticket items. hardest part can be getting a wire to them, but if you have a fan then you should have electricity close. the through wall fan sounds like someones brilliant idea that didn't work or why would it be covered?
On Wed, 31 May 2006 21:40:30 -0700, "Eigenvector"

What practical difference is there? They're both holes in the wall with a fan in them and a little metal flap-damper.
Goedjn wrote:

bet the range hood can pull a lot more air than a cheap wall vent.

be able to pull more air than a wall vent, or at least it should be able to pull more of the oven air. If they're reasonable effective, not too terrible at heat loss I'd be willing to stay with the wall vent, but I simply don't know anything about them.