Wall to Wall Rug Question

I'm planning to hire some area kids (20's) to help me pull up a wall to wall carpet 12'X20'. Roughly how long do you think it'll take for two boys to do this? I'm trying to plan the costs ahead of time. Thanks

Reply to
wipeout64

maurice

One 12x20 room; I would expect my son and I could finish that off in 30 minutes or less.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

If a standard carpet, one-half hour. That includes removing the tack-strips (provide goggles) and filling in the holes.

If it's a glued down floor covering, I'd burn down the house before I attempted it.

Reply to
HeyBub

Are you pulling up the tack strips?

Also, is the padding stapled down? There may be a staple every 6" or so and those staples can be a bear to remove.

Reply to
Cliff Hartle

I watched an installer do it at my previous house. He cut the carpet into 2' strips (used a straightedge to make them square), then rolled each section up and ran a line of duct tape around each roll. He then made a "handle" out of the duct tape so he could carry two at a time. Pretty slick.

I'm planning to do the same in the next few weeks, but about 6x the floor of the OP (five rooms plus stairs and hall).

My guess is that it'll me more work moving the furniture around. The kids will come in handy there!

Reply to
krw

The carpet in our master bathroom (yes, bathroom) had the padding

*nailed* down, so I expect more of the same. Either stapled or nailed, a cats-paw is a handy tool (and a shop vac).
Reply to
krw

I suspect that it is glued down. What are my alternatives? The rug is very worn. I'm very ashamed of it. It can't stay.

HeyBub wrote:

Reply to
wipeout64

Can I keep the same padding if I'm planning to put down carpet tiles?

Cliff Hartle wrote:

Reply to
wipeout64

Actually, I just checked after my response. It doesn't appear to be glued down. So I guess this won't be a problem. All I need to know is if I can use the existing pad. It appears that it may have one there, but pretty worn or a cheap one.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
wipeout64

Every carpet tile I've ever seen was self-padding, and 'sticky' back. Almost has to be, to get tight joints.

aem sends...

Reply to
<aemeijers

Thanks all for all your help.