wall timer

I have two wall switches that work side by side with one cover plate for both (switches turn on/off in up/down directions). If I want to replace one switch with a timer, is there a wall plate that can cover both the timer and the remaining wall switch beside it? Of course at this point I don't know what timer I'd wire in. I was thinking of using it to turn on/off my porch lights outside. I know I've seen a timer that doesn't need to be wired in which is mounted on the cover plate but I'd prefer to wire it in if I can get the correct cover plate.

Since you don't know what timer you want and what cover it needs, there is little we can do to help.

I realize that but just wanted to if covers do exist for various timers in the wall (wall switch).
Someone else made me remember another question that I forgot to ask and that was if the built in timers have battery backups?

Here's an example of one:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)

You mean like the X-10 timer in my living room? I've had it for years and don't know if they make them any more.

I had a regular device timer with a coin cell battery in it. We used for the christmas lights but it eventually burned up.

You can get a device timer in a Decora format. Then you can get a decora/ toggle duplex cover or change the other switch to decora. (rocker) and use a decora duplex cover.
On Feb 20, 2:04am, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

analog old style timers are far better than the newer electronic timers that use the bulbs filament to power the timer. bulb burns out timer looses its mind. do they even work with CFLs?
i prefer the old round knob type, i have one in my garage for my pole light. its at least 15 years old and noisey but it just works.
my pole light is enabled between 6 am and midnite, the pole has a day nite detector in it, that turns lamp on in darkness during those hours. which change all year long..
its served me very well semingly forever and to reset the timer after a power out or DST takes just seconds

I've had bad experiences with knob timers. I've had a couple of them to control a whole-house fan. The first one burned out after a couple years - failed, with black soot marks inside the box. A little scary. The second one I am still using but it's kind of erratic, sometimes it advances, sometimes not. If I were in the market for a timer now I would certainly look at an electronic one. -- H
On Feb 20, 2:04am, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Agree with the above.
Doug wrote:

Put a day/night sensor on the porch light with a 9 watt CFL. That's less than 3kwh per month, or fifty cents.