Wall Switch Height

Page 2 of 2

My architect believes in putting them lower. To save the energy of having to lift your arm high. I'm no longer in that space, but if really interested I can pull out the specs and see what they were.

Put them wherever you want them. Most people use a standard height for resale value, but if you want to "personalize" your home, do whatever you want. I dont think it would be allowed to put a switch on the floor, and in wet locations (basements), there are limits according to the code. But in a room, you can pretty much place them any height on the wall.
The NEC is there to protect you from hazzards, but not from stupidity. If you are happy with a wall switch being 6 inches from the floor, do it. Your pets will be much happier when they can turn on the lights too...... Mark

It makes me grumpy that they won't let me work the overhead lights with a pull-chain. :-(

Every one of my basement lights have pullchains, except the one at the base of the stairway. The common porcelain pullchain fixtures.
I do not have a code book handy, but I believe this rule only applies to wall switches. My furnace has a switch on the basement rafters (ceiling), right next to the furnace. It's been that way for many years. I dont know what the NEC would say about that, but it's staying there. At least it dont get accidentally bumped there. Back when I did handyman work, I got called several times with "no heat" calls, and the only problem was because someone bumped against the switch mounted on the side of the furnace, and shut off the power to it.
Mark

I don't have a cite, but I'm pretty sure that for "occupiable spaces", the NEC requires either an overhead light or an outlet that is switched from a switch within 3' of the door.
A major renovation that MOVES switch boxes sound really MAJOR!! If you are adding some switch boxes, it would be good to check the height of most of the switches you already have. Then use that height unless you really want to start something new in your house.
Our house has the switches, old and new, at (my) waist high, which is about 4 feet. Some people like them high so that young children can not reach them. I've always felt that kids should be able to reach them, but then they get some discipline to teach them to quit turning lights on and off!!
Interestingly, my office has them at 4 feet also. --Phil
kit wrote:

really want to start something new in your house.

easier to do the sheetrock......

Yes, that seems rather high. If you come in with an arm-load of groceries, it will be difficult to reach over and flip the light on.
I don't know that the NEC really specifies the height of electrical switches, but 48" is the typical height.
I mounted outlets at 12", switches at 48", and thermostats at 60". I used a stick cut to the desired length to position the boxes quickly. Much faster and less chance of error than measuring the height of each box.
In our master bedroom, I mounted switches a little lower on each side of our bed to turn off the wall lights. Makes it easier to reach the switches when you're laying in bed at night.
In our kitchen, we have a short half wall in front of our peninsula. Because of the shorter wall, the light switches had to be mounted about 36" above the floor. They work fine at that height too...
The one small issue I ran into was our garage. I located all switches and outlets at 48" from the floor. This worked great till a few years later when I went to install wall cabinets. Because the garage floor sloped towards the doors, I realized the outlets slope along the wall as well. Ooops. :) The outlet on the far left sits an inch or two lower than the one on the far right. It isn't a problem other than a visual difference from the wall cabinets, but it's something to consider if you have a sloped floor.
Anthony