Wall resurfacing compound - hard

Hi,
Replacing kitchen backsplash tiles. Pulled the old tiles off and with it some of the surface.
The walls are made of sheetrock and coated with thin layer of something fairly hard. Looks almost like white paint, but it is not.
Any idea what I may be looking at? Would like to repair what came off with the tiles, with the same material. I know I could use mud, but this is in the kitchen and would like to make it more durable and seal better.
Regards,
RichK

Use setting-type joint compound, probably the 90-minute variety. Make sure you get the sandable type. Sheetrock brand Lightweight Setting-Type All Purpose Joint Compound EasySand 90 is the stuff you want. Seven or eight bucks a bag at Home Depot, IIRC.
--
Regards,