Wall prep after pulling down wallpaper...

I pulled down some thick old wallpaper off the walls in the livingroom. What I was left with was a papery surface with some spots where it tore off with the wallpaper, some kind of wall/joint compound underneath, and then the actual drywall under that which is intact. Is this papery substance adhesive residue or is it something that peeled off the back of the thick wallpaper and stayed as a souvenier???
I'm not quite sure how to handle this paper substance that's left. I've gone over it with sandpaper and putty knives so all the parts that were loose have flaked off. Does it all need to be removed or can I seal it all with something like a oil based primer or Gardz and then skim coat over that? Or should I just skim over it as is and then seal ontop of the skim coat?
I'm thinking about the following...
Patch holes and let dry oil based primer or Gardz skim coat Gardz primer paint
How does that sound?
Use a liquid wallpaper remover it loosens glue, wash all glue off, soak paper , remove and clean everything. Next you need to smooth the walls, but can`t say as can`t see or know their condition to really direct you. If previously sealed good, just patch, spot prime and paint. All glue and old paper must go.
On 22 Nov 2005 22:23:07 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

It sounds like you may have removed only the top surface of a paper backed vinyl wallcovering. Either that or a liner was used under the wallcovering. If either is the case it needs to come off. It's next to impossible to get a good job without getting down to the drywall. I assume you are going to paint? If you get the papery surface good and wet, can you remove it?
The last paper stuff I messed with was a border at the ceiling. We removed the top which left the paper as you describe. We sprayed a solution of vinegar and water on to the paper, it disolved the paste and the paper backing would come of a wall at time. A simple wiping with a damp rag removed the residual paste and cleaned the wall.
The one significant difference though was that our walls were painted which I can't help but think really helped with the removal.
Good luck...
Darwin
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

You need to get everything off the drywall except the lprimer or paint that was there before the wallpaper. The bad news is - there is no easy way to do it. It involves spraying with paste remover of some type screaping off any paper remains and lots of scrubbing. Use something with a coarse texture to scrub with - not soft cloths or sponges.
Also divorce your wife if she insists that paper -ever- be put back up.
Harry K

Sounds like you still have the paper backing on the wall which should soak off. OR, you can go ahead with your plan. It's a good one.
Use the /Gardz. I'ts an excellent product for what you want to do. Forget the oil.

For you Harry, If paper is hung over Gardz it will be easy to remove later.

clipped

and paste and see what you have. Spray the paper a couple of times, giving it a few to soak in. Water works fine - it just needs to be in contact with the paste to soften it. When the paper soaks up enough, the paste will soften. Use a scraper lightly to get the softened paste/paper off. Repeat if needed. Wash to get remaining paste - it will stop feeling slimey when the paste is gone. If left on, the texture might transfer through paint. I would not paint over the paper you have now. Careful with the washing, as the moisture might get into the paper covering of the wallboard. Assess the wall when you have the paper off - may need joint repairs, a little spackling, priming. If thee is a good coat of paint beneath the paper you should not need primer, but it never hurts.