Wall plates

Page 1 of 2
I'm looking for two different wall plates. I know I'm probably looking for something they don't make, knowing me.
#1. Double gang - One standard duplex outlet and one GFCI
#2. Triple gang - Two standard duplex outlets and one GFCI.
I've poked around the web a bit, but thought someone might have a link to the weird things. <G> THANKS!
--
Steve Barker

You don't say what finish you want, but they should be available at an electrical supply
On 1/25/2011 9:00 PM, Steve Barker wrote:

A real electric supply can probably get them, but at the big-box, you are probably stuck with the overpriced 'modular' snap-together plates. BTDT. Of course, for the problem locations, you could always just use Decora outlets, if you can get multi-gang in those.
--
aem sends...

Steve Barker wrote:

They exist, go to a real electrical supply house to find them. I would however recommend using the "Decora" style regular duplex outlets to match your GFCI receptacle which is also a "Decora" style. I did this in my shop where all of my receptacles are "quads" of a GFCI receptacle and standard "Decora" receptacle.
On 01/25/2011 09:29 PM, Pete C. wrote:

ah, but if you're like me, you'd want "spec grade" receps which also are unavailable at the Big Boxen. supply house should have spec grade decora though.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

Actually, I got spec grade Decora style 20A duplex receptacles at my local Lowe's along with 20A GFCI receptacles. Every quad in my shop is a separate circuit as well.
On 1/25/2011 8:46 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:

No, i don't get all tore up about the "spec grade" things. As a matter of fact the reason i'm looking for what I am is because i bought Literally a wheelbarrow full of leviton duplex outlets for about $6 a few years ago.
--
Steve Barker

I got two boxes of spec grade toggles at an architectural salvage, NIB (but very old) for $10 I think a while back :)
box of 10 spec grade receps was only $15 at supply house, I replaced everything on the 2nd floor of my house and still have about half the matl left over
nate
On 1/25/2011 8:29 PM, Pete C. wrote:

I think that's the direction i'm leaning. Thanks!
--
Steve Barker

Keep in mind that the orientation of screw slots may affect the performance of said wall plates considerably. For someone who knows so much, you should not be stymied by a simple wall plate.
HTH
Steve
On 1/26/2011 12:42 PM, Steve B wrote:

i wasn't stymied. As stated in my OP, i hadn't looked yet. i may get the screwless ones and look REALLY professional!
--
Steve Barker
On 01/25/2011 09:00 PM, Steve Barker wrote:

what finish are you looking for? if it's something "normal" and they don't have it at your local supply house (or you don't have one and are limited to Big Boxen) try dale electric
if you have an old house and are looking to match a vintage plate you're probably out of luck with plastic (unless you are handy with a Dremel and countersink bit, in which case you could probably mod a double and triple std recep plate to work - I think) but if you are using the .040" thick pressed brass plates, or something similar in another finish, they are probably available "repro." Be prepared for sticker shock though.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

If you want metal wall plates, they are easily and cheaply made by anyone with the right tools, most commonly locksmiths. You need only draw the desired ouput accurately.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
On 1/25/2011 8:31 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:

nothing special. White plastic is fine.
--
Steve Barker

Just get the rectangular regular outlets.
On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 20:00:27 -0600, Steve Barker

Pretty common.

Not so common.

A lesson I learned long ago was to never gang more than two devices together for just that reason. (Switches only is the exception)

I ganged outlets over my kitchen counter in an area where I knew I would have a lot of appliances and didn't want two a few feet form each other. I also ganged them over my workbench in the garage. Never 3 though.
On 1/26/2011 8:15 AM, jamesgangnc wrote:

this is over a kitchen countertop and it was three gang when we purchased it. I'll probably just go decora and be done with it.
--
Steve Barker
Metspitzer wrote:

Even for switches I wouldn't go more than two gang if I could help it. You can get 6 switches in a two gang using the triples, so you really shouldn't need more than two gang. Big banks of regular switches are pretty ugly as well.

How deep of a 2 gang box are you using with your 6 switches on two device straps ?
That is a MINIMUM of 14 current carrying conductors, 7 grounding conductors, a bonding jumper to the box and 6 pigtails for splitting up the incoming circuit if all 6 of the switched loads are on one circuit... What size wire are you using in that two gang box ?
The reason why those "big banks of regular switches" exist is so that the number of wires inside the box plus the volume taken up by the devices themselves does not exceed the limits of what is permitted by code...
If you are concerned about the appearance of switches and want minimum appearances of switch boxes, you can install an intelligent wiring system in your house and switch all loads using a relay panel in your basement next to your circuit breaker box and see only single/double gang control panels to switch the load/load groups in the immediate area where the control is located...
~~ Evan