wall oven mullion element

Broiler element burned out in Sears electric oven model 850.5277591 (purchased 1976). Bought replacement from Sears. When I had to replace the lower element a few months ago, it was easy & done completely from inside the oven. Not so with the broiler one; can not get to the screws/lugs - they won't fit through the holes in the back panel like the lower ones did. So, pulled the oven out of the wall and pulled enough panels to get to the broiler element connections. I'm seeing another broken, element-type connection to something that I can't identify - it's not visible from the inside. It's not the broiler nor smoke eliminator element. From the electrical diagram, I'm thinking it's the "mullion element", but no such thing is shown on the parts list for the oven nor on the body diagram. I have no idea of what's its purpose in life. The only web hit I found suggests that it might be part of the self-cleaning equipment. I'm reluctant to tear the oven down any further to actually "see". The clock doesn't work (and there's no replacement available), so I don't think I can use the self-clean anyhow. If that's all it is, I think I can just disconnect/tape the wire and finish replacing the broiler element.
Anyone help here? Take out "at" after "@" to email.