Wall oven junction box location.

Page 3 of 4

studs would be better to use as runners becasue they are non combustable?

pening and toward the bottom. The directions say, "locate an approved junct ion box, in the suggested location, a minimum of 23 7/8 above the runners".

ne picture with no inch markings on it shows a junction box level or below the runners? (It kind of contradicts the obove statement of locating this b ox "above" the runners.

y teeing off an existing outlet in the bathroom.

That brings back memories.... I said earlier that I installed a Kitchenaid double oven a couple years ago and the box location per install instructions was in an area behind the oven. But thinking back, I recall I had to move the box slightly and I also had to set it back into the drywall by 1/2" instead of having it surface mounted, otherwise the box would have stuck out too far.
On Monday, April 1, 2013 9:47:22 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

uds would be better to use as runners becasue they are non combustable?

ning and toward the bottom. The directions say, "locate an approved junctio n box, in the suggested location, a minimum of 23 7/8 above the runners".

picture with no inch markings on it shows a junction box level or below th e runners? (It kind of contradicts the obove statement of locating this box "above" the runners.

teeing off an existing outlet in the bathroom.
Well, My oven will not fit. It hits the metal junction box. It needs to go about 1/2 inch deeper. My box is metal, and is attached flush to the sheetr ock. It is screwed through the box with a simple wood screw into a stud.
So, what is the best way to go here? My cabinet where the oven fits is a sq uare. Wood on sides and a plywood top and bottom. Below the plywood bottom is a cabinet. Above the plywood top is also a cabinet. The bottom cabinet h as drawers that slide in and out. Yp is just an open cabinet with doors.
The back of where the oven goes is the drywall wall. There is a metal junct ion box. It sits flush. There is a connector on the top that the metal shea th encasing the oven wires attaches to.
My thoughts are, can I somehow install the box into the drywall? Not sure h ow to make the connection then though.
On Apr 2, 9:09 am, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

studs would be better to use as runners becasue they are non combustable?

pening and toward the bottom. The directions say, "locate an approved junct ion box, in the suggested location, a minimum of 23 7/8 above the runners".

ne picture with no inch markings on it shows a junction box level or below the runners? (It kind of contradicts the obove statement of locating this b ox "above" the runners.

y teeing off an existing outlet in the bathroom.

trock. It is screwed through the box with a simple wood screw into a stud.

m is a cabinet. Above the plywood top is also a cabinet. The bottom cabinet has drawers that slide in and out. Yp is just an open cabinet with doors.

eath encasing the oven wires attaches to.

See the reply I made to RBM just a few minutes ago. His comments made me recall that I had this exact problem with a Kitchenaid double oven. Looks like they make them expecting the box to be recessed into the drywall by at least a 1/2". All I did was cut out an opening over a stud, then fasten the box directly to the stud. That put the box back into the wall by 1/2" and still leaves the cable connector coming out flush with the drywall. I also has to move the box slightly, but had enough cable to work with to do it.
On 4/2/2013 7:19 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

oven did not have these. That is no problem. I wonder though if metal studs would be better to use as runners becasue they are non combustable?

located on the surface of the drywall directly on the back wall off the opening and toward the bottom. The directions say, "locate an approved junction box, in the suggested location, a minimum of 23 7/8 above the runners".

locations for the box. One is up high 23 7/7 above the runners. However, one picture with no inch markings on it shows a junction box level or below the runners? (It kind of contradicts the obove statement of locating this box "above" the runners.

switches back the way they were and to add another outlet properly, by teeing off an existing outlet in the bathroom.

about 1/2 inch deeper. My box is metal, and is attached flush to the sheetrock. It is screwed through the box with a simple wood screw into a stud.

square. Wood on sides and a plywood top and bottom. Below the plywood bottom is a cabinet. Above the plywood top is also a cabinet. The bottom cabinet has drawers that slide in and out. Yp is just an open cabinet with doors.

junction box. It sits flush. There is a connector on the top that the metal sheath encasing the oven wires attaches to.

Another possibility is totally recess the box in the wall, get a cover plate with a 1/2" knock out, and connect to the plate with a 90 degree connector. In that location heat is a question.
Or move the box to the cabinet below. You are then working at the back of a smaller space to connect the oven (while it is in place), which may be harder than connecting the oven when it is out. If there is not enough space behind the drawers, mount the box as above.
If the wiring is from above it may be easy to move the box up.
You may be able to move the box to an adjacent space as in John's post.
On 4/2/2013 8:59 AM, bud-- wrote:
This is another one where the OP posted the same question to alt.engineering.electrical.
On 4/2/2013 10:10 AM, bud-- wrote:

and rec.crafts.metalworking, oddly enough. i guess the OP doesn't know, or care, about crossposting either.
On Apr 2, 8:09 am, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

studs would be better to use as runners becasue they are non combustable?

pening and toward the bottom. The directions say, "locate an approved junct ion box, in the suggested location, a minimum of 23 7/8 above the runners".

ne picture with no inch markings on it shows a junction box level or below the runners? (It kind of contradicts the obove statement of locating this b ox "above" the runners.

y teeing off an existing outlet in the bathroom.

trock. It is screwed through the box with a simple wood screw into a stud.

m is a cabinet. Above the plywood top is also a cabinet. The bottom cabinet has drawers that slide in and out. Yp is just an open cabinet with doors.

eath encasing the oven wires attaches to.

Get a shallow box
On Apr 4, 10:59 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net"

l studs would be better to use as runners becasue they are non combustable?

opening and toward the bottom. The directions say, "locate an approved jun ction box, in the suggested location, a minimum of 23 7/8 above the runners ".

one picture with no inch markings on it shows a junction box level or belo w the runners? (It kind of contradicts the obove statement of locating this box "above" the runners.

by teeing off an existing outlet in the bathroom.

eetrock. It is screwed through the box with a simple wood screw into a stud .

tom is a cabinet. Above the plywood top is also a cabinet. The bottom cabin et has drawers that slide in and out. Yp is just an open cabinet with doors .

sheath encasing the oven wires attaches to.

Or, maybe contact the manufacturer?????!!!!!!!
On Apr 4, 11:59 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net"

l studs would be better to use as runners becasue they are non combustable?

opening and toward the bottom. The directions say, "locate an approved jun ction box, in the suggested location, a minimum of 23 7/8 above the runners ".

one picture with no inch markings on it shows a junction box level or belo w the runners? (It kind of contradicts the obove statement of locating this box "above" the runners.

by teeing off an existing outlet in the bathroom.

eetrock. It is screwed through the box with a simple wood screw into a stud .

tom is a cabinet. Above the plywood top is also a cabinet. The bottom cabin et has drawers that slide in and out. Yp is just an open cabinet with doors .

sheath encasing the oven wires attaches to.

I don't think a shallow box will meet the min volume for the given wires.
On Monday, April 1, 2013 9:47:22 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

uds would be better to use as runners becasue they are non combustable?

ning and toward the bottom. The directions say, "locate an approved junctio n box, in the suggested location, a minimum of 23 7/8 above the runners".

picture with no inch markings on it shows a junction box level or below th e runners? (It kind of contradicts the obove statement of locating this box "above" the runners.

teeing off an existing outlet in the bathroom.
Well. What would you do? Recess the outlet where it is inside the wall? Mov e it up higher but still within the oven cavity?
The only problem with putting it into the cabinet below is as I said, the c losing of the drawers. The issue with putting it in the cabinet above is th e fact that there is an opening between where the wall oven goes and the to p cabinet. This "opeinging" is where the microwave is. The BX would have to go through the microwave area and be visable, which I am not too crazy abo ut. (Unless I can figure out a way to fish it through the wall itself and o ut the top cabinet easily.)
On Monday, April 1, 2013 9:47:22 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

uds would be better to use as runners becasue they are non combustable?

ning and toward the bottom. The directions say, "locate an approved junctio n box, in the suggested location, a minimum of 23 7/8 above the runners".

picture with no inch markings on it shows a junction box level or below th e runners? (It kind of contradicts the obove statement of locating this box "above" the runners.

teeing off an existing outlet in the bathroom.
Just trying to find a good, correct solution. Right now I just dont underst and that requirement for the junction box to be "accessible"
On Apr 2, 12:23 pm, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

studs would be better to use as runners becasue they are non combustable?

pening and toward the bottom. The directions say, "locate an approved junct ion box, in the suggested location, a minimum of 23 7/8 above the runners".

ne picture with no inch markings on it shows a junction box level or below the runners? (It kind of contradicts the obove statement of locating this b ox "above" the runners.

y teeing off an existing outlet in the bathroom.

text -

If you put it behind the oven, it's accessible by removing the oven. All that takes is 4 screws. Take a look at other oven install guides and you'll see that having the box behind the oven is very common. Inaccessible would be putting it inside a wall and then drywalling over it.
On Monday, April 1, 2013 9:47:22 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

uds would be better to use as runners becasue they are non combustable?

ning and toward the bottom. The directions say, "locate an approved junctio n box, in the suggested location, a minimum of 23 7/8 above the runners".

picture with no inch markings on it shows a junction box level or below th e runners? (It kind of contradicts the obove statement of locating this box "above" the runners.

teeing off an existing outlet in the bathroom.
If I cant put it behind the oven and have to put it below the oven in an in side cabinet, is there a minimum hight requirement for a junction box even if it is inside a cabinet? I am going to try to make the back wall behind t he oven work, however with the 90 degree nipple sticking out it will be clo se. The other option would be to install it six inches lower inside the cab inet. However this brought up my question on any height code.
On Apr 3, 8:24 am, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

studs would be better to use as runners becasue they are non combustable?

pening and toward the bottom. The directions say, "locate an approved junct ion box, in the suggested location, a minimum of 23 7/8 above the runners".

ne picture with no inch markings on it shows a junction box level or below the runners? (It kind of contradicts the obove statement of locating this b ox "above" the runners.

y teeing off an existing outlet in the bathroom.

n if it is inside a cabinet? I am going to try to make the back wall behind the oven work, however with the 90 degree nipple sticking out it will be c lose. The other option would be to install it six inches lower inside the c abinet. However this brought up my question on any height code.- Hide quote d text -

Let's start over again. Right now the existing box is somewhere on the back wall where the oven would go, directly behind it, correct?
I went back and looked at the install diagram again. It shows two locations for the electrical box. One is on the wall below the oven, between the runners. It shows runners as being 2 x 4. What size runners can/will you use? Any reason the box can't be lowered and put between the runners?
The other location clearly shows it in the area directly behind the oven, right at the top. IT shows the bottom of the acceptable box location at 23 7/8 above the runners. The oven overall height is given as 28 1/4. That leaves you 4"+ room for a box anywhere along the top of the oven. Any reason it can't go there?
Based on what I see now, I would tend to agree with those that said they want to keep the box away from the heat locations. Putting it in either of those spots does that. The very top is where the electronics are, not the oven itself and if it's between the runners, it's also out of the heat area.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

No, it can go anywhere inside the cabinet below -- no minimum height requirement.
On Monday, April 1, 2013 9:47:22 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

uds would be better to use as runners becasue they are non combustable?

ning and toward the bottom. The directions say, "locate an approved junctio n box, in the suggested location, a minimum of 23 7/8 above the runners".

picture with no inch markings on it shows a junction box level or below th e runners? (It kind of contradicts the obove statement of locating this box "above" the runners.

teeing off an existing outlet in the bathroom.
I think I miss measured. The box sticks out more than 1/2 inch too far.
There is no room to install the runners on their edge. So my intention was to install them flat.
The "cabinet" below has cabinet doors, however the inside has two pot and p an drawers that slide out. I will have to measure but I think their still m ight be enough room behind the drawer for a junction box.
Unless you guys think it is a heat or other problem, I am going to purchase a 90 degree and face plate for the box and measure to see if fully recessi ng the box will allow enough room. If not, I guess the easiest thing would be to install behind the drawers below. (If there is enough room.)
I can install it higher, and am willing to do that if you think it will be a better installation. However, it will require more work to fish the wire. I am totally by myself so anything I do like that is typically twice the w ork.
On Monday, April 1, 2013 9:47:22 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

uds would be better to use as runners becasue they are non combustable?

ning and toward the bottom. The directions say, "locate an approved junctio n box, in the suggested location, a minimum of 23 7/8 above the runners".

picture with no inch markings on it shows a junction box level or below th e runners? (It kind of contradicts the obove statement of locating this box "above" the runners.

teeing off an existing outlet in the bathroom.
One more thing, I went back and looked at the picture. Even though it does not state it, does it look like in the diagram that the lower junction inst allation option has to be 5 inches below the top of the 2x4 runner?
On Apr 3, 2:38 pm, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

studs would be better to use as runners becasue they are non combustable?

pening and toward the bottom. The directions say, "locate an approved junct ion box, in the suggested location, a minimum of 23 7/8 above the runners".

ne picture with no inch markings on it shows a junction box level or below the runners? (It kind of contradicts the obove statement of locating this b ox "above" the runners.

y teeing off an existing outlet in the bathroom.

stallation option has to be 5 inches below the top of the 2x4 runner?- Hide quoted text -

Yes, I agree. I didn't see that previously. So it has to be either 5" below the bottom of the oven or else way up within about the top 4" zone or higher. Who makes this oven marvel?
On Monday, April 1, 2013 9:47:22 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

uds would be better to use as runners becasue they are non combustable?

ning and toward the bottom. The directions say, "locate an approved junctio n box, in the suggested location, a minimum of 23 7/8 above the runners".

picture with no inch markings on it shows a junction box level or below th e runners? (It kind of contradicts the obove statement of locating this box "above" the runners.

teeing off an existing outlet in the bathroom.
I will say it is very thick wire and the house was built in the 90's. So, I f I install it below the oven into the drawered cabinet, I am guessing it w ill only be 3 inches below the top of the runner. Is this acceptable? (The picture looks like it says 5 inches). Also, for some reason it wants the box 10 inches from the left side of the cabinet again, which I cant do without some difficulty. (another stud bay. )
On Monday, April 1, 2013 9:47:22 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

uds would be better to use as runners becasue they are non combustable?

ning and toward the bottom. The directions say, "locate an approved junctio n box, in the suggested location, a minimum of 23 7/8 above the runners".

picture with no inch markings on it shows a junction box level or below th e runners? (It kind of contradicts the obove statement of locating this box "above" the runners.

teeing off an existing outlet in the bathroom.
How cruicial do you thin the 5 inch down and 10 inch over requirement are?