Wall Outlets with USB connectors

But the goal of the design is allow the oven to be programmed via the USB port. According to what they describe the typical use might be in a big box industrial restaurant that has standardized meals. So you walk into say aplebees/chilis etc and order something and all the "chef" needs to do is pull your meal out of the fridge, scan the barcode using the ovens scanner and it heats it up your meal according to what it was programmed to do.

Reply to
George

Yes, I think we all agree that using the USB port to charge is not the primary purpose of it being there.

Reply to
trader4

Seems things change (a little):

"Apple's iPad may be alone at the top when it comes to tablet traffic, but some movement down at the bottom earlier this month is raising a few eyebrows. Barnes & Noble?s Nook Tablet has been a quiet success story ever since it first launched in 2010 as the Nook Color, and it looks like the eReader/tablet combo still has some fight left in it. Amazon?s Kindle Fire has garnered far more attention than its B&N counterpart since it launched late last year, but according to ad network Chitika, the Nook Tablet?s share of traffic across its massive network recently surpassed that of the Kindle Fire. Barnes & Nobles tablet was responsible for 20% more traffic than the Kindle Fire between June 4th and June 10th of this year, but the two are still fighting over scraps ? Apple?s iPad claimed 91.07% of all tablet traffic during that period, while the Nook Tablet and Kindle Fire accounted for 0.85% and 0.71%, respectively.

...but I think comparing to the iPad is the wrong way to look at the market. While they are "Tablets", in the broadest terms, they're really loss-leaders to sell eBooks (which, apparently, are still losers). In this area, you're right, Amazon has a big lead but 27% of a big market isn't anything to sneeze at. I don't think B&N has much of a choice, either.

Basically agreeing with your point, in the broader eBook context:

"The Kindle has 67 percent of the e-reader market in the U.S., followed by the Nook at 22 percent, according to a February report from Goldman Sachs Group Inc. (GS) Amazon generates 58 percent of e-book sales, followed by Barnes & Noble?s 27 percent and Apple at 9 percent."

As an eReader, no. As a general purpose tablet, it makes a big difference.

I don't see a 7" tablet as being a big enough step up from my 4" phone to make it worthwhile. I looked at a few but, nah. Sure, a 10" doesn't fit in a pocket but they are pretty easy to carry. It's not like even a NetBook. I just don't think the apps of any tablet are enough for me to jump (Android phone works well enough for any of them). I know someone who uses them as presentations to customers. There is a compelling reason to have one. I don't do that, rather have to sit through such presentations. ;-)

Reply to
krw

There is only so many ways you can program "nuke on" "nuke off"

I guess that's more ways to do it. :)

Reply to
Metspitzer

Most industry pundits agree that the $199 Fire is sold as a loss leader, though Amazon's not talking.

Amazon's $9.99 for recently published books was a loss leader. But Apple conspired (yet to be proven in court) with the publishers to force the agency model on Amazon which killed the bargain books. Recently I've paid from $13 to $17 for ebooks. I doubt anybody is losing any money (except me) at those prices...

But with slowing Fire sales (fire sale?? ;) Amazon can't relax.

Google now has it's fondle slab in the mix too. I figure like the netbook craze things will get crowded before they shake out.

Tablets 67/22, ebooks 58/27. That figures. Once you've purchased a particular brand tablet, they pretty much lock you into buying their ebooks.

Agreed. One of my complaints for the Fire (and my iPad) is no external memory. Heck my phone can carry 40G...

YMMV. My phone and my Fire do virtually the same thing (except make calls) and when I'm home, not having to squint at the small screen is a luxury.

For me tablets are way too big and heavy to carry around when out and about. Though if you have to, they're easier to carry than a laptop.

True. I like gadgets so have one (or a few) of each. The netbook I use here (EeePC 10" mod#1015 $229 at Best Buy) is one of several I've had over the years. Posting with a tablet is a pain...

No need to. That's why they invented the term YMMV... ;)

Reply to
AJL

I stumbled across this by accident.

They may already have these, but if not, having an Alarm Clock with built in USB ports and the option of playing Mp3s off of your thumb drive would be useful.

I hope soon we will all be able to carry our music around on a thumb drive (no batteries to drain) and pop it into any player.

Reply to
Metspitzer

It's already possible - I do it. Finished ripping all my old CDs to .mp3; thumb drive will play on my home stereo and car stereo, and the files when copied to a micro SD card will also play on my cell phone.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I've been in hotels with clock radios that had USB ports so you could attach your cell phone or thumb drive and play mp3's through the radio.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Apple devices -- iPhone, iPad, etc. come with power cords that have a USB connector on one end and a connector for the particular device on the other. I think the idea of the USB connector is so that you can charge them from your computer or plug-in USB hub. But, it would be handy to plug these devices into the wall for recharging rather than carry the charging block or looking for a hub or computer. I usually leave the charging block at home as it's just something else to take up space, leave behind in a hotel room and to lose.

Tomsic

Reply to
Tomsic

It is just a plot by the gas/coal companies to insure the "charger" is always plugged in. I wonder what the vampire current is on these without anything actually charging.

Reply to
gfretwell

An alarm clock, like a microwave, is already drawing vampire power. It seems like the extra drain with having unused USB ports would be 0.

Reply to
Metspitzer

...snip...

Oh No!

Please don't bring up USB enabled microwave ovens again!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

The OP is talking about the receptacles with a USB port and a built in "wall wart".

Reply to
gfretwell

My Kill-A-Watt reads 0.00 Amps and 0.00 Watts with no device connected to the Apple charging block. When I connect the iPad and turn it on, with a fully charged battery, the readings are 122.1 volts, 0.07 Amps, 4 watts, 8 VA. Watts and Amps go back to 0.00 when the iPad is unplugged, so the charger doesn't take much with nothing attached to it.

Tomsic

Reply to
Tomsic

Yeah, I know. I am not. :) It is just that more USB ports for charging can be useful in more places than you think.

I never considered buying a microwave for a USB port, but one that would also play music from my flash drive might be a catchy option.

Reply to
Metspitzer