Wall Outlets with USB connectors

Page 6 of 6
On 6/28/2012 8:47 AM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Some people go broke buying electronic toys and some people hoard too much of their money to enjoy. Takes all kinds.
$1500 worth of disposable electronic gadgets is alot to some people and nothing to others. To a typical middle class family in North America, it shouldn't be alot.
Hey some people smoke and some people gamble and some buy too much alcohol. I know some people that never have bills paid on time still find a way to spend $30 on beer and cigarettes for a weekend yet struggle to fill the car with gas to get to work or pay rent/mortgage. They think I'm rich cause I have a bigger house and newer car and never complain out loud about gas prices but I also don't spend $1500 a year or more on booze and cigarettes.
Add pictures here
βœ–

To some, $1500 is pocket money. They aren't "rich".

It certainly doesn't define the "rich". It really is a small amount of money for reasonably long-life appliances.

Agreed, and that's really my point. $1500 is a drop in the bucket, over a long period. Calling anyone with $1500 "rich" is absurd.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 6/27/2012 6:06 AM, snipped-for-privacy@thecave.com wrote:

I've got one installed on my network board, it powers the magicJack VoIP adapter.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Jun 27, 6:06 am, snipped-for-privacy@thecave.com wrote:

A new standard for cell phones (I believe, driven by the Chinese market of all places - we like to think of China as backward and reactionary, but this is a legitimately good idea IMHO) is that the charging connector is always a Micro USB connector. Also most phones offer some USB connectivity options to a PC. So they're shipping not with a wall wart with an integral cord with a Micro USB plug but rather a wall wart with a USB A socket, a 12V lighter socket plug with a USB A socket, and a USB A to Micro USB cord, that way the cord can be used for all purposes. That recep would allow you to not have to use the wall wart.
That said, I'm not real nuts about the idea because wouldn't that recep be drawing a small amout of power all the time even if something isn't plugged into it?
nate
Add pictures here
βœ–
Should you accept this assignment, you are being promoted to field tester fourth grade. Your assignment is to buy such a socket, and test it with an ammeter. Should you survive this assignment, we'll discuss promotion to Field Tester third grade.
That said, I'm not real nuts about the idea because wouldn't that recep be drawing a small amout of power all the time even if something isn't plugged into it?
nate
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 05:06:53 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@thecave.com wrote:

I stumbled across this by accident. (Amazon.com product link shortened)
They may already have these, but if not, having an Alarm Clock with built in USB ports and the option of playing Mp3s off of your thumb drive would be useful.
I hope soon we will all be able to carry our music around on a thumb drive (no batteries to drain) and pop it into any player.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 07/08/2012 06:00 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

It's already possible - I do it. Finished ripping all my old CDs to .mp3; thumb drive will play on my home stereo and car stereo, and the files when copied to a micro SD card will also play on my cell phone.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

I've been in hotels with clock radios that had USB ports so you could attach your cell phone or thumb drive and play mp3's through the radio.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Apple devices -- iPhone, iPad, etc. come with power cords that have a USB connector on one end and a connector for the particular device on the other. I think the idea of the USB connector is so that you can charge them from your computer or plug-in USB hub. But, it would be handy to plug these devices into the wall for recharging rather than carry the charging block or looking for a hub or computer. I usually leave the charging block at home as it's just something else to take up space, leave behind in a hotel room and to lose.
Tomsic
Add pictures here
βœ–

It is just a plot by the gas/coal companies to insure the "charger" is always plugged in. I wonder what the vampire current is on these without anything actually charging.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 09 Jul 2012 14:11:25 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

An alarm clock, like a microwave, is already drawing vampire power. It seems like the extra drain with having unused USB ports would be 0.
Add pictures here
βœ–
...snip...

Oh No!
Please don't bring up USB enabled microwave ovens again!
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 09 Jul 2012 15:10:27 -0400, Metspitzer

The OP is talking about the receptacles with a USB port and a built in "wall wart".
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 09 Jul 2012 15:17:32 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Yeah, I know. I am not. :) It is just that more USB ports for charging can be useful in more places than you think.
I never considered buying a microwave for a USB port, but one that would also play music from my flash drive might be a catchy option.
Add pictures here
βœ–

My Kill-A-Watt reads 0.00 Amps and 0.00 Watts with no device connected to the Apple charging block. When I connect the iPad and turn it on, with a fully charged battery, the readings are 122.1 volts, 0.07 Amps, 4 watts, 8 VA. Watts and Amps go back to 0.00 when the iPad is unplugged, so the charger doesn't take much with nothing attached to it.
Tomsic
Add pictures here
βœ–