Wall Outlets with USB connectors

Page 4 of 6
On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 18:40:09 -0500, The Daring Dufas

Have you met a lefty that likes himself?

Symantics. All that's guaranteed is .5A.

I sure hope I never have to use anything you design.

Though both my Kindle Fire and iPad 1 come with 2 amp chargers I have found that if I leave either on a 1 amp charger overnight they will fully charge. Dunno if that translates to a computer port though.

It certainly is. The maximum *guaranteed* current available at a USB port is .5A (and many fail at that). Any more, and there is a (good) chance that the device won't work.

So now you agree with me. Are you just looking for a fight or can't you read?

<irrelevant bloviation snipped>

I've never owned a company.

Oh, good grief. Of course that's what the .5A maximum means. The device is only allowed to draw a maximum of .5A. Of *course* to allow this, somewhat more must be available - tolerances and all that. You can't *count* on it nor can you count on being able to use more without damage.

Of course it does. It's the maximum the device can draw without violating the spec.

Irrelevant. You can't design a device to use more than .5A and expect it to work. In face many violate the spec by not allowing .5A.
Get real.
On Jun 27, 10:38am, The Daring Dufas <the-daring-du...@stinky- finger.net> wrote:

I think we all agree at this point that the only use for the USB ported AC receptacles would be for charging purposes.
The question still remains as to how much power these ports consume. If that match the consumption of a USB ported wall wort charger, then users will be wasting electricity since they will be powered 24/7.

You got it!!!!
DerbyDad03 wrote the following on 6/27/2012 11:28 AM (ET):

Wouldn't it act like a regular AC outlet? When the USB device is plugged in, it completes the circuit, just like a lamp completes a circuit when plugged in and the lamp is switched on.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 06/27/12 12:12 pm, willshak wrote:

It certainly should be possible to design it that way, but if it costs more than 9 cents to implement...
Perce
Percival P. Cassidy wrote the following on 6/27/2012 1:06 PM (ET):

This one is a hell of a lot more than 9 cents. (Amazon.com product link shortened)
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

It may be more than 9 cents to implement, but who cares? If it fits your needs for a particular spot it could be worth the price. As for the possible continuous use of power issue, this would seem to settle that:
"The Smart Power design only outputs enough charging power required by the attached device, while spring-loaded Safety Shutters turn power off to the USB ports when a connecting cable is removed. "
On 06/27/2012 10:13 AM, willshak wrote:

" Smart Power feature only outputs enough charging power required by the attached device"
Oh dear lord, people are actually going to think that is a special feature. It's like selling water and advertising that it is wet.
Jon
On 6/27/2012 11:28 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Not really, the piggy versions were the linear power supplies that used to come with every device. The current switching power supplies are much more efficient and standby losses are next to nil.

I'm surprised by your use of the words "used to come with every device".
Since when are devices being sold that don't come with chargers? Everything that I've bought in the past year (Droid phones, Kindles, Apple iDevices) - including just last month - all came with a charger.
Granted, Apple iDevices use a totally different animal, but I'm surprised to hear that chargers must be purchased separately from some devices.
What and from whom?
On 6/27/2012 2:18 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Buying used. You can save $200 buying used Ipad that the old owner lost his charger. :)
Our kobo ebook readers require usb charging but the company did not provide chargers. So instead we had to plug them into a computer usb port.
Same with our legacy Ipod's.

The iPad I just bought was refurbished direct from Apple. Full 1 year warranty. Good thing too since the Home Switch died within the first month. Came with the charger.
(BTW..the exchange experience was amazingly simple at the Genius Bar in the Apple store. They made sure my old one was backed-up, showed me how to wipe everything off it before I gave it to them and then started the reload of the data onto the new one. 10 minute wait, 15 minutes for the exchange and before I walked out of the store the replacement iPad looked and acted exactly like my old one, right down to the homescreen wallpaper - except that the Home Button works now.)

Both Kindles my daughters bought came with chargers. I just checked Amazon...they still ship with chargers.

Legacy iPods without chargers?
My daughters have had various vintages of iPods over the years and every one came with a charger.
I'm not doubting your experiences, but in my case every device that required a wall wort charger came with one.

I have a Kindle e-reader. It came with a USB cord for re-charging. If I want an a/c adapter -- which I have been told is a lot faster than using USB, I have to buy it separately. They cost about $10 at Staples. I think its interesting that USBs are available as regular wall sockets. I also have an iPod which I have to charge using a USB.
On 6/27/2012 3:35 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

They come with a USB cable, *not* ac power adapters. The ac power adapter is sold separately. If you want one, it's another fifteen bucks.

I'm not sure where you buy your Kindles from but you should get them from here:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
Included Accessories: U.S. power adapter (supports 100V-240V), USB 2.0 cable, rechargeable battery.
On 6/27/2012 6:16 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Our Kobo newreaders are popular in Canada. Since we got cheap black and white versions you just get a usb cord, not an a/c adapter. Higher end models have those. Had we known at the time we would have purchased the a/c adapters.
As for the Ipod, my wife's is gen two and mine is gen 3 and neither one of us have a adapter for ours. just the usb cord.
Ipads have adapter's because the computer USB is not powerful enuf to charge those devices.
I can only imagine what a typical house with two teenagers and two parents would be like with all these damn usb devices now.