Wall Outlets with USB connectors

Page 3 of 6

Why you took as whining was actually sarcasm.
Sometimes that dosn't come across very well in a text based medium.
No hard feelings. ;-)
On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 05:49:24 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
Very subtle. I did miss it. As I said I was influenced by GGs.

Perhaps if you had even acknowledged my suggestions before the sarcasm?

Feelings in this place?? Except for me whining about you not acknowledging my suggestions?? Is that subtle of what... ;)

You're a liar. I said you shouldn't *have* to charge it more than once a day. If you do, one you're putting more stress on the battery and the connector than it was designed for and two, there's something wrong with the phone, the battery, or you. Since you can't read, or think, I'm leaning to the latter.

There are apps that do a better job of power management than the defaults, too. This really helped mine.

My Droid Razr has a fixed battery, as well. They now offer a model with a larger battery, though.

Then you've already accepted the fact that you're paying way more than necessary, just for the logo. ;-)
On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 18:34:53 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

My guess is that eventually most phones will have internal batteries. It certainly hasn't hurt iPhone sales.

Yup. I paid way too much for my iPad. Never again. The Kindle Fire, while definitely not in the same hardware class, does virtually everything I used the iPad for at less than half the price.

I'd definitely prefer a user replaceable battery but in the end it was the thickness of the phone that made the sale. Since this isn't the big selling point for most, I doubt it'll be universal.

I was seriously looking at a Galaxy Tablet and then perhaps a Nook (they're an Android tablet underneath) because they're cheap but in the end I decided I didn't have much use for a tablet unless it would replace a laptop (run <real> Windows). My Razr does everything I would use a tablet for.
On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 19:41:06 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

I got the Kindle Fire originally because I already had a large ebook collection with Amazon and reading them on a color screen is much nicer than on the B&W Kindles (except in direct sunlight). And even though I could read my Kindle books on the iPad, I liked the Fire's book sized form factor much better.
But after having the Fire awhile it slowly replaced the iPad in everything I did. So my wife got the iPad and everyone was happy... ;)
One pleasant surprise was that it has virtually the same OS as my Incredible smartphone. So I can trade apps back and forth and most of the time they work. If Amazon doesn't have something (like Opera, Cool Reader, Firefox, ect) I can get it from the Google store and side load it. Very handy. Good luck trying that on an iPad.

Unlikely a tablet will ever replace a laptop. For me it's less the OS than the keyboard. Typing on those 'on the screen' keyboards is a PITA. For that reason I usually use a netbook when posting.

And my Incredible smartphone does everything I use my Kindle Fire for. But for casual use around the house I prefer the Fire because of the larger screen and book sized form factor. Different strokes of course... ;)
Also I just like gadgets so I may indulge myself (again) when the next generation of 7" tablets come out. Google is taking orders for its new tablet now and the Fire 2 is rumored for August.

The Color Nook has a really nice screen. Ny wife has one (and an original Nook, but she doesn't use it anymore) and it's really impressive for the price.

I looked at an iPad yesterday (cow-orkers wanted to stop by an Apply store on the way back from lunch). The prices weren't that much higher than a Galaxy but why bother? As you point out, the apps are the issue.

"Replace" isn't the right word. Tablets are a lot more portable than a full notebook and much more convenient for a some things. However, "it's the apps, stupid". If I could use the same apps as my laptop, I'd jump at it even if the keyboard sucked. I have a netbook but the keyboard sucks. It's not enough more portable than a laptop, so it sits in a closet (not even sure where, right not).

Right, but around the house I'll use my laptop.

I'll wait. I'm half thinking about replacing this laptop with one of the tablet-PCs but they're expensive.
On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 22:26:41 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

I have only seen the Nook at the B&N store but they look fine. I think B&N may have gotten into the ebook business a little too late. I hope they survive but I have my doubts.

I've always liked reclining back in my big easy chair and reading a book. Now I can recline back and read a book and the internet on my Kindle Fire. I guess I could do the same with my laptop, but it's not nearly as comfortable... ;)

AFAIK, the Nook Tablet has a larger market share than the Kindle Fire. The Color Nook almost identical (memory is the difference, AFAIK) and even cheaper. I don't think the Nook is going anywhere.

I don't think I'd be comfortable with either for reading. That's the reason I haven't bought an e-reader for myself.
On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 09:24:04 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

"Even though the Nook had record sales, shipping 1.9 million units during the holiday period, its total 2011 sales of nearly 3.3 million still fell below the estimated 3.9 million Kindle Fires sold during the period."
http://www.investorplace.com/2012/02/can-barnes-nobles-nook-grow-its-market-share-bks-amzn-aapl /
Course that could be wrong because I think "estimated" means they don't know for sure since I don't think Amazon releases their sales figures. Also I've read that the Fire's sales have been falling off recently.

The Fire's small memory size (8G) is really only a problem for storing movies. My 2000+ ebook library (these from Usenet, not Amazon) take around 2G. Lots of room left.

The 7" tablet field is about to become crowded. We'll have to see how it shakes out.

Seems things change (a little):
http://www.bgr.com/2012/06/14/nook-tablet-kindle-fire-market-share-ipad /
"Apple's iPad may be alone at the top when it comes to tablet traffic, but some movement down at the bottom earlier this month is raising a few eyebrows. Barnes & Nobles Nook Tablet has been a quiet success story ever since it first launched in 2010 as the Nook Color, and it looks like the eReader/tablet combo still has some fight left in it. Amazons Kindle Fire has garnered far more attention than its B&N counterpart since it launched late last year, but according to ad network Chitika, the Nook Tablets share of traffic across its massive network recently surpassed that of the Kindle Fire. Barnes & Nobles tablet was responsible for 20% more traffic than the Kindle Fire between June 4th and June 10th of this year, but the two are still fighting over scraps Apples iPad claimed 91.07% of all tablet traffic during that period, while the Nook Tablet and Kindle Fire accounted for 0.85% and 0.71%, respectively.
...but I think comparing to the iPad is the wrong way to look at the market. While they are "Tablets", in the broadest terms, they're really loss-leaders to sell eBooks (which, apparently, are still losers). In this area, you're right, Amazon has a big lead but 27% of a big market isn't anything to sneeze at. I don't think B&N has much of a choice, either.
Basically agreeing with your point, in the broader eBook context: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-05-19/liberty-media-offers-1-billion-for-barnes-noble.html
"The Kindle has 67 percent of the e-reader market in the U.S., followed by the Nook at 22 percent, according to a February report from Goldman Sachs Group Inc. (GS) Amazon generates 58 percent of e-book sales, followed by Barnes & Nobles 27 percent and Apple at 9 percent."

As an eReader, no. As a general purpose tablet, it makes a big difference.

I don't see a 7" tablet as being a big enough step up from my 4" phone to make it worthwhile. I looked at a few but, nah. Sure, a 10" doesn't fit in a pocket but they are pretty easy to carry. It's not like even a NetBook. I just don't think the apps of any tablet are enough for me to jump (Android phone works well enough for any of them). I know someone who uses them as presentations to customers. There is a compelling reason to have one. I don't do that, rather have to sit through such presentations. ;-)
On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 11:27:44 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Most industry pundits agree that the $199 Fire is sold as a loss leader, though Amazon's not talking.

Amazon's $9.99 for recently published books was a loss leader. But Apple conspired (yet to be proven in court) with the publishers to force the agency model on Amazon which killed the bargain books. Recently I've paid from $13 to $17 for ebooks. I doubt anybody is losing any money (except me) at those prices...

But with slowing Fire sales (fire sale?? ;) Amazon can't relax.

Google now has it's fondle slab in the mix too. I figure like the netbook craze things will get crowded before they shake out.

Tablets 67/22, ebooks 58/27. That figures. Once you've purchased a particular brand tablet, they pretty much lock you into buying their ebooks.

Agreed. One of my complaints for the Fire (and my iPad) is no external memory. Heck my phone can carry 40G...

YMMV. My phone and my Fire do virtually the same thing (except make calls) and when I'm home, not having to squint at the small screen is a luxury.

For me tablets are way too big and heavy to carry around when out and about. Though if you have to, they're easier to carry than a laptop.

True. I like gadgets so have one (or a few) of each. The netbook I use here (EeePC 10" mod#1015 $229 at Best Buy) is one of several I've had over the years. Posting with a tablet is a pain...

No need to. That's why they invented the term YMMV... ;)
On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 06:43:16 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Entirely possible to make a USB port that takes NO power when nothing is plugged in. Very simple too. Just a magnetic reed switch that turns the port on when the steel shelled USB plug is inserted into the port. Or even a microswitch. Certainly not rocket science, and 5 volts at 2 amps converts to inder 1/10 amp currrent draw that needs to be switched at 120 volts - trivial at best.
On 6/27/2012 5:06 AM, snipped-for-privacy@thecave.com wrote:

Yeah. More and more cheap-ass manufacturers are selling their e-products without ac adapters (which they sell separately). The assumption is that most users will routinely charge the device using the USB port on the computer. Since that's not always handy, USB power adapters for car and household use are becoming more commonplace. It's true that an accumulation of ac adapters is messy and a pain to travel with, so that's another justification for acquiring one produce that will permit multiple devices to charge.
On 6/27/2012 5:06 AM, snipped-for-privacy@thecave.com wrote:

USB appears to have become a ubiquitous power and communication standard for portable devices that charge their batteries through the USB port. I'd be interested to know the max power that those in wall adapters supply. I doubt they're for anything except supplying low voltage DC power. ^_^
TDD
On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 09:38:29 -0500, The Daring Dufas

USB 2.0 is .5A at 5V, maximum. If there are two, they should supply .5A each. Apple is telling manufacturers to up that to 2A for the iPad.
On 6/27/2012 10:16 AM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Heck, a 2amp switching wall wart is tiny so it shouldn't be a problem to build one into something the size of an electrical outlet. ^_^
TDD
On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 10:21:22 -0500, The Daring Dufas

Well, that's 4A (they usually have two USB charging outlets). ;-) It is pretty easy, but not cheap (compared to $.29 outlets). The other issue is the vampire power. It upsets leftists.
On 6/27/2012 3:47 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

But Leftists ARE vampires, they suck the life out of everything. ^_^
TDD