Wall Outlets with USB connectors

Page 2 of 6
On Jun 28, 1:19pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Highly unlikely? Don't be so sure. Read on...

You are making assumptions about people's cell phone usage that might not be valid. Rarely is the day that I don't need to charge my phone before bedtime. This is not uncommon for a lot of people.
I use it for work, family and friends. There are commercials for newer phones that tout batteries that last all day. They wouldn't need to do that if usage patterns didn't show that people need to charge their phones more often than just while they are sleeping.
If my phone begins to die at 7 PM, I'm not going to take it upstairs to the bedroom and leave it there all evening. I'll plug it in somewhere near where I'm going to be. The kitchen, the garage, the living room. Maybe you don't use your phone as much as others or want it nearby and charged at all times. That's you and that's fine. For me, and many others, well, we *do* want it nearby and charged at all times. When my kids stop over, very often the first thing they do is find a chrager and plug their phones in.
I am more in contact with my out-of-the-house kids via texting that I ever was before we had an unlimited texting plan. Random pictures from college, a picture of a hole in a wall (punched) and a question on how to fix it, the occasional "I miss you, Dad." or "Dad, I need your help." I'm not going to miss those opportunities to connect with my kids because my phone is up in the bedroom charging.

Not in every receptacle, but maybe in one receptacle in each room - or in an appliance, like a microwave, so you don't need a special receptacle in the kitchen.

I'm not talking about DVD writers. I'm talking about Digital Video Recorders, which is how we time-shift TV shows. There's a hard drive in the cable box used for recording shows, pausing and rewinding live TV, etc.
You don't have that in your cable boxes? I assume you don't have HD cable?
BTW...my old TWC DVR had output jacks and an option allowing you to dump shows from the DVR's hard Drive to a DVD writer in the background. The newer ones don't have that option so you have to Play the show off of the hard drive while you are recording it on the DVD writer. Much less convenient.

But you're depriving the cats of all those cute human vidoes on YouTube.

You really need a better cell phone. A cheap-ass phone should go several days between charges. Even the latest whiz-bang smart phone should be good for more than 24 hours.

You did understand the above limitations on USB insertions and battery cycles, right? Charging phones that often isn't good for them.

You need a better phone. Mine goes all day, plus. The only time I have to plug it in otherwise is if I'm using it as a hot spot. At first the batteries didn't last but a few tweaks and they're good for about two days.

Irrelevant.

Nonsense. You're the only one on the planet.

A DVD writer is also a DVR.

No, I have satellite. ;-)

But much better for the control freaks.

They wouldn't watch anyway. Those humans don't feed or scratch them.

Derby, by now you should know that there is only KRW's way or the highway. Despite all his lamenting about how liberals all want us to live a certain way, he has a remarkable penchant himself for thinking everyone must use things the way he does. Why, if KRW only needs to charge his cell phone in the bedroom, why that's what everyone should do.

I have a Tivo DVR and it has two USB ports.

Yeah, I hear ya. Sometimes it seems like the conversation is going well, with a little give and take, until at some point nothing you say will be right or relevant.
Time to move on.
... major snippage ...
trader4,
Thanks for the support, but I'm sure you know that once krw enters that zone there's no sense in continuing.
As usual, threads that start out with friendly back and forth end up with him cursing us out and calling our responses "irrelevant". Any attempt to explain the issue in a different manner as a means to try to get him to understand a point is attacked on a personal level.
Once he's started down that path, there really is no point in trying to reign him in, but I'm sure you know that.
Let him think he's won and let it go.
Thanks again.

Good to see I'm not the only one here who's noticed that. I mean he could have just said that he doesn't think a USB port in a kitchen makes sense for him. But instead, it turns into you being wrong and a nut because you don't charge your cell phone in the bedroom like he does. And then it's that somehow charging it in the kitchen is going to wear out the USB connector and battery? And next it's that anyone who doesn't agree with him is an Obama Democrat.
He often has good points, but when he goes off the deep end, he sure does it in a big way. I don't know what his problem is, but clearly he has some issues.

Thanks for that link.
It would be interesting to know if the USB port can be used to charge devices like cell phones or iPads.
On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 14:58:03 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

If it is a USB port it needs to comply with certain standards - one of which is the provision of a minimum of 500ma of current at 5 volts.

I think we visited this earlier. Let me try again.

Yes the iPad is supplied with a 2A adaptor, but it will charge just fine at less current, it just takes a lot longer.

The iPad may draw 2A if 2A is available. But it will also charge using adaptors/ports that are current limited to much less.

Yup that's where we ran into trouble before. If you have to use the iPad while its charging then yes you need the 2A adapter. But most of us find it inconvenient to do that (especially if its hooked to the microwave ;). And with the iPad's 10 hour battery life only very poor planning would even require having to do that. The answer to the question (above) is yes (if it is a standard low powered adaptor/port). Simple, just leave it on charge overnight, sleeping while you're sleeping, and your good to go in the morning...
BTW some of the confusion lies in the iPad saying its not charging when attached to a low power port/adaptor. That's because to see the 'not charging' icon the iPad has to be on, and of course as pointed out, when its on, its not charging. But Apple assures us that when it is sleeping, it is charging... ;)
----------------------- "When connected to lower-power USB ports--those on older Macs, most Windows PCs, and most USB hubs (powered or unpowered)--the iPad's battery is not charged while the iPad is awake, but is charged (again, slowly) when the iPad is asleep. What's confusing here is that the message Not charging appears in the menu bar when the iPad is awake, which might lead you to assume that the offending USB port can never charge your iPad. But rest assured, Apple says: once you put the iPad to sleep, the battery will indeed charge. (If you could see the screen while the iPad was asleep, it might even display the charging icon. It's the modern-day "Does the refrigerator light stay on when I close the door?" mystery.)"
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/193451/the_ipads_charging_challenge_explained.html

I don't think there is any question it can. Even the most basic USB port has to be able to deliver 500ma at 5V. That's well within the range of what it takes to charge a cell phone battery. Interesting that a microwave already exists with USB. Thanks for the find SMS!
On 6/30/2012 8:58 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

But the goal of the design is allow the oven to be programmed via the USB port. According to what they describe the typical use might be in a big box industrial restaurant that has standardized meals. So you walk into say aplebees/chilis etc and order something and all the "chef" needs to do is pull your meal out of the fridge, scan the barcode using the ovens scanner and it heats it up your meal according to what it was programmed to do.

Yes, I think we all agree that using the USB port to charge is not the primary purpose of it being there.

There is only so many ways you can program "nuke on" "nuke off"

I guess that's more ways to do it. :)

And then there's these conceptual designs...
http://www.geekalerts.com/usb-microwave-oven /
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/brain-desktop-microwave-concept,news-6654.html
On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 11:42:23 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

You might consider an oversize battery. When I first got my smartphone (HTC Incredible) almost 2 years ago I was disappointed that I seldom got a full day. I invested in an oversize battery and after that it seldom went below 50%. It does make it a bit thicker and heavier but the trade off was well worth it IMO-YMMV.
(Unless you have an IPhone where you can't change the battery...)

And there's no reason you should. With USB chargers/cables being as cheap as they are, buy several and put them wherever it's convenient for you.
(Unless you have an iPhone where the extra cables aren't so cheap...)

Yes, in fact I do have to charge it in the bedroom.
According to krw I have a crappy phone that should only be charged in the bedroom. No one else on the planet has the same issues as I do. Ask him...he'll tell you.
On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 15:18:23 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Ah, I see you're from Google Groups. You realize that this isn't really Google Groups don' you? This is Usenet where flaming is a decades old tradition. The best defense is either to ignore it or flame back. Or as I do on occasion, take the flamers identity and post an apology. In any case whining won't get you all that far...

I been participating in usenet groups for at least 3 of those decades.
I use GG because it's the only way I can access usenet from work. Since it also works quite well on my iPad and battery sucking Droid, I choose to go with the ease of a consistent interface across all devices.
I sometimes use Thunderbird's newsreader when I'm sitting at my home desktop, but that's getting rarer and rarer these days.
On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 15:53:22 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
Really? Since 1982? You're probably the senior guy here...

Tch, Tch, aren't you supposed to be working at work? ;)

Try the app NewsTap on your iPad. No need for GG.

I use the free app Groundhog on my Droid. No need for GG.

It's not that difficult to stay current between devices. I just set them to pick up the days headers and ignore all above the last read.

Thunder bird's a good newsreader. I have it installed. But I always seem to go back to this 10+ year old copy of Agent. Getting my $29 worth... ;)
Perhaps another reason to avoid posting with GG is that it seems to lead people to make the same mistake about the poster that I did...
On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 17:54:30 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

I am impressed. I didn't even get online until 92 and that was (yech) AOL dialup...

I worked at Motorola's Western Military plant in Scottsdale AZ (its no longer there) on military gear in the early 60s. Before that I was a TV tech in the 50s. Also around that time I was active on ham RTTY. So I do have some experience with old stuff.

I suppose I could see that reasoning on a laptop or large tablet.
But on a small phone screen a dedicated newsreader is so much faster, easier to use, and easier to read on a small screen than a browser. (And likely easier on your battery too.)
For the same reason I use a dedicated (IMAP) email app (K-9 Mail) to read my Gmail on my phone instead of trying to read it in a browser.

When GG users do show up here they are often quite obvious in their naivety of this place and sometimes as a result handle themselves poorly. Thus when you only whined about another poster treating you poorly in your answer to my suggestions I figured it's just another GG user. That's why I made the mistake that you were a newbie and gave you that unsolicited advice on how to handle a bully in a schoolyard... ;)