Wall niche light

I am building a 4" deep wall niche. I want to add a light on top of the niche.
Can anyone point me to what kind of light I can use and where to get it?

You've not indicated how bright the light should be. Presumably, by saying "top" of the niche you mean the (effective) "ceiling" of that space shining downward (as opposed to "up near the top but on the back wall").
Google images for "step light" and imagine any of these mounted in the niche ceiling instead of "step riser". E.g.,
<
http://www.pondusa.com/Universal_Lighting_Systems_SLC2101WB%20_Full_Size_Frosted_Step_Light_530.jpg
<http://deckdepot.com/ProductImages/highpoint_step_lights/hp-712r-bs-deck_step_light.bmp

I've found some really great uses for under the cabinet fluorescent lights from Walmart. Cheap, too. Under ten bucks. I have one under kitchen cabinets. I use another one as reading light over my bed.
Just how bright do you want it to be?? A single canister light could take almost any reasonably sized bulb from 10W to 100W equivalent using an led bulb.
On Saturday, November 7, 2015 at 10:30:36 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

It does not need to be very bright. I never heard of canister light. How do I mount it?
Canister lights are the recessed lights you see in kitchen ceilings. The b ulbs are mounted up and inside the fixtures. Typically, you need about 10 inches above the "ceiling" in which to mount the fixture.
They are typically designed for up to 100W incandescent lamps, so any of th e new led regular or spotlight bulbs would work perfectly, and use a lot le ss electricity and generate a lot less heat which normally shortens the lif e of the larger incandescent bulbs/
This is the image of more or less what I am building
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/67/9c/cb/679ccbc9d6181d98e7b5896eb396eeb5.jpg
The light in that picture looks like a canister light. Check at any hardware store that sells lighting fixtures, just ask to see their canister lights, Check out at least two stores so you see the various types that are out there.
On Sunday, November 8, 2015 at 9:46:37 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

A lighting store would be even better. If he tells them the application, I'm sure they have recessed lights that will work. Hardware store, I'm not so sure about, to look good it has to be small, the niche is only 4". Or find a lighting catalog/website online.