Wall Mount Hair Dryer

I want to add a wall mount hair dryer in one of my bathrooms. This unit at Amazon is one that I would like to have, but I'm wondering if it is possible to find one that hard wires rather than plugs into an outlet, using up an outlet.
http://tinyurl.com/yjqw39s
Is anyone aware of a hard wire version?
On 1/16/2010 10:37 AM, mcp6453 wrote:

Okay, Andis has a direct wire version. The problem is that the pictures of the units are inconsistent. For example, the link below shows a direct wire 33490 HD-2 hard dryer, but it has an AC cord on it:
http://www.andis.com/USA/productsPopUp.asp?ID3490
This web site lists the same unit, but the picture does NOT show the cord. If you search for the 33490, it is listed lots of times as a direct wire, but it shows the picture with the cord.
http://www.plumbingsupply.com/hairdryers.html
On further examination, it appears that the pictures are wrong. The data sheet for the HD-2 indicates that it is available in a wired and in a direct wire version.
http://www.andis.com/USA/PDF/CatSheets/Cat_33490.pdf
mcp6453 wrote:

Hi, They are pretty loud when running.
I bought an assortment of plumbing wrenches from that plumbing supply. The picture very clearly showed about six or seven items. I got ONE wrench, which was not what I paid for. We went around and round, and finally I went to the credit card company, and eventually got a refund.
Their picture on the web page (same item) still shows the same six or seven tool, though they only ship one.
Beware.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Sure. I've used Andis wall mount dryers for years. Go to www.andis.com, click on USA, then the Hotel tab, then look at Hairdryers.
The more secure models use a metal mounting plate instead of drywall mounts. If you want to keep people from unplugging it, use a recessed (clock style) hidden power box wired to a nearby outlet, or cut the plug off.
Robert Neville wrote:

Isn't the GFCI etc. usually integrated into the plug?
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
On 1/16/2010 12:01 PM, Robert Neville wrote:

You raise an interesting point. If I cut off the plug of a plug-in unit (not a direct wire), isn't it a code violation to wire that line cord to an outlet?

Probably. Appliance cord is not approved for running behind walls. Might be OK if you drilled/routed directly into the box, but then you have the issue of not being able to disconnect the applicance in case of malfunction/overload.

Or just recess the whole box.

Hair dryers might last 2 or 20 years. I was wondering about the replacement of a hard-wired version, not too practical.
Install a new outlet exactly where you want your hairdryer, perhaps a recessed outlet where you can hide the coiled cord. Check NEC, local codes, about the new location. Some hair dryers really pull the power so check your circuit breaker capacity.
mcp6453 wrote:

It says 1600 watts. I thought 1500 watts was the limit on... appliances like this?