Wall Heater won't stay on? What could the problem be ..

We have a wall mounted heater in our dinning room. The heater was installed when our place was built in '74. I don't know the history of the heat, and hell, I can't even tell the brand (I have yet to put it apart). The problem is that no matter how far you turn up the dial, the heater doesn't stay on. It will cycled on for a few minutes, and then off, on for a few minutes, and then off .. It this normal for older wall mount heaters, or should I just replaced the thing?

This is Turtle.
I see a bunch of these type wall heater and when you see the cycling too often. It is usely the thermostat is too close to the furnace a it is short cycling the cycles .
If the heater is keeping up with the heat needs of the room. I don't see a problem.
TURTLE
Can we assume this is a 30 year old contractor grade electric water heater?
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
OH a room heater. Sorry.
As Turtle said ...
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Unless youre sure its been in there since day one, you maybe oughta check to make sure its not one thats been recalled :
http://www.cadetco.com/identify.php
--
SVL