Wall Heater Thermostat

My new wall heater has a gas valve that is thermostatically compatible. The most common thermostat for this heater is called a "microvolt" thermostat. It apparently get its microvolts from something heated by the pilot light.

What I can't seem to get my head around, is how can such a small amount of power manage to horse-open the rather high flow gas valve?

Reply to
croy

Him No manual to read? My guess is the micro current triggers power to the valve coil. Definitely it can't directly control the valve.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Reply to
Ed M

The something is a thermocouple. It is actually millivolts not microvolts. The common name for that system is "powerpile" which might be a Honeywell trademark. We used to have that system on an old steam boiler. It worked well and as long as the natural gas flowed there were no worries about power outages.

The valve is designed so that only a small amount of energy is required to open it.

Reply to
George

It uses a pilot generator to make electricity which powers the coil on the valve. The down side is that it generally takes a while to operate, unlike a 24 or 120 volt coil valve

Reply to
RBM

hat is thermostatically

Sounds like it's the same type of system used on most water heaters that also don't have any external power source to open the gas valve.

Reply to
trader4

Wrong - it most definitely DOES directly control the valve as microvolr controlled gas appliances are the only ones that will work with the power out and no batteries required.

Reply to
clare

is thermostatically

It is. I don't see them on conventional heating systems anymore. They were great when the power went out. Once the thermostat called for heat, it took a minute or so for the valve to open

Reply to
RBM