wall heater question

I've got a Louisville tin & Stove co. vented wall heater that suddenly isn't working
it's a model cf353-a built in 8/91 Serial 91090179 with a built in fan, 24V
The pilot works alright, but the heater is not firing up. Last week, when it first stopped heating my house, i replaced the thermostat, but it didn't do any good. Then i shut off the gas and after a few days gave it another try and it worked for a few days then petered out again.
Any ideas on what the problem is?
the gas valve, maybe or ?
the gas valve is a robertshaw grayson7000 AERB-5-57C I've noticed that a replacement is in the $200 range
If you think that the problem is with the gas valve, can they be rebuilt for less $? or are there generic versions that work as well?
I'm a high school teacher and $200 is more than I can afford right now. Any sound advice will be greatly appreciated.
John Ausin, Texas
Does your particular heater have a thermo coupler (coupling?) ? That's what the problem was when the pilot light was runing OK but my boiler refused to fire up last year. If you know an HVAC guy or someone incredibly handy, there's a way to tell if that's your problem. Unfortunately, I don't kow what it is to maybe get you off the hook cheap.
AJS

Johnson wrote:

check with the school custodian, if you have a gas fired boiler at school then he is probably an operatinal engineer... and can give you info on what you need.. these guys will not give you anything but ridicule... they will tell you to call a pro??? like they are pros??? bunch of trade school guys trying to feel important................

And your excuse is?? Whats your credentials? Post em big boy..
Sure jim. However if you bothered to read the replay left before yours, you would have seen that John got the most likely answer. Too bad you could not offer any useful suggestions. CBhvac added additional good information.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

One of two things...the gas valve, or a tripped safety.

Could be....could be a bad thermocouple...enough milivolts to hold the pilot open, but not enough to allow for the main valve to open. Is the gas valve wired in with the 24VAC transformer? If so, do you have power on the secondary side of the transformer?

Umm...no. Where are you looking?

You dont rebuild those..

Sure...are you in the central NC area? If so, let me know and we can come by...for free..(Bite my ass Jim) and check it out for you...if its a tripped safety switch, we will even find out why....also..for free... Again...bite my ass Jim..

message

pilot
tripped
Whups...aint in my service area...LOL

message Remove the ''s'' to get the right address.
TURTLE
Thank you very much for the information. I took the gas valve out cleaned the electrical terminals and put it back in yesterday - it's working fine so far. If it shuts off again - then I'll hotwire the safety switch and see if that's the problem. It's good of you to give advice without requiring a credit card. What goes around comes around and may whatever comes your way be good. JJohnson
On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 17:31:02 -0500, "CBhvac"

Remove the ''s'' to get correct address. And no i'm not coming over there to work on it for it just too far.
TURTLE
P.S. One note here ; that Austin is just a plain nice place to live in. Most everybody you meet on the street can read, write , and says how you doing?.