wall hanging outside in the wind

SWMBO got a painted piece of slate with our last name, etc. that measures about 12"x12" and has a leather picture-hanging cord. Need to mount it outside on our stone facade next to the front door. Problem is that it is very windy where we live, with gusts to 30mph+ very common. I need some way of securing it to the facade other than just the leather strap hanging from a nail or it is going to rattle to the point of driving us crazy. Any takers?

Double-sided carpet laying tape will hold pretty well if it does not get wet. Use the hanger and then add the tape so it doesn't take any weight, just holds it to the building. You might have to use a piee of foam rubber,fastening the tape to the bulding stone, then the foam, and then another layer of tape to the housename if the stone is a very rough surface compared to the back of the slate..

Would it be possible to attached a French Cleat to both surfaces?
http://www.govart.com/hardware_cleat_B.html
DerbyDad03 wrote:

use silicone to glue the piece of french cleat to the slate, and for the opposite side to the wall. i use this technique to hang heavy glass sculptures to vertical surfaces.
?

Put a hook in the wall and hang it from the strap for appearance. Then put a dab of polyurethane construction adhesive on the bottom two corners on the back to keep it from blowing around. I used that stuff to build a block wall and you won't budge it.
On 12/31/2010 12:14 PM, Matt wrote:

Most secure method I can think of is to use masonry caulk to glue it to the stone. Done properly, the caulk can later be cut to remove the slate if desired. Keep the leather or similar hanger, too.

Yews to being handy, but nmot for thi9s project. How are you going to get the glue gun behind the slate sign to glue the sign to the stone bulding???

From inside the house? ;-)
On 1/2/2011 6:00 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Hold the sign horizontal but nearly in position, make several little doggy piles of glue on the back of the sign where it will line up with the high spots on the wall, and quickly tilt it up into position and lean on it. 2 people would make it a lot easier, and gloves and safety glasses are recommended, in case some globs of glue go in unexpected directions.
If that seams too scary, I'd try the two-sided foam tape used to attach trim to car bodies.
--
aem sends...

On Sun, 2 Jan 2011 15:00:35 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

shoot a bead of glue on the wall, then apply the pre-heated slate, holding in place untill it cools sufficiently to solidify.