Wall-hanging garage-quality storage cabinets

Looking for garage-quality cabinets that hang on a cleat or slat system, so that I can reposition them or easily add new cabinets. Anyone have or seen anything like this? (...that doesn't cost a small fortune) Have poked around the internet, but the little of what I've seen is pretty vague on any details. M.B.

You have to make a choice, as all that "easily customized" stuff all costs big $$$$$$
Of course you could always buy regular cabinets and just screw them in yourself. if you need to move them just back out the screws, reposition, and rescrew.
BTW you do realize all that fancy stuff is not rated for any real weight dont you ? A few 3" screws into a 2X4 is far stronger
AMUN
Amun wrote:

I just did this. Home Depot has the plastic cabinets for garages. They are really supposed to sit on the ground. They have one version that is about 6 feet high and another version that is 1/2 that. The small one is supposed to be a base cabinet that sits on the ground but, I mounted one on the wall. Since the cabinets aren't meant to be hung, I was able to do it by adding a 16" wire shelf to my wall and then setting the cabinet on that. The cabinet already had holes in the back for me to put screws through to the wall so that it doesn't move. It is very stable. The adjustable wire shelf makes it easy to move it as I need. You could adapt this approach to any cabinet I suppose. The home depot plastic ones are nice because they are relatively big, lightweight, and strong.

Go buy your cabinets and some 1x4 (or 1x6, probably preferred and preferably something harder than pine, poplar is pretty cheap). Rip the 1x4 in half with the blade tilted 45 degrees (I'm assuming you have a table saw or circular saw). Cross cut one half of your 1x4 into the lengths needed to mount to the back of the cabinet near the top. The remaining piece of 1x4 gets attached to the wall to form your "rail". Set it up so the 45 degree angles lock together when the cabinet is hung. Make sense? Cheers, cc

Good idea and cheap to do.
one thing I might suggest though is to still drive 1 screw through the cabinet into the board to keep someone from accidently lifting the cabinet just enough to drop it off the "track" (especially with little ones around)
AMUN
"> Good idea and cheap to do.

Agreed. Another item I forgot to mention, but assumed was obvious is to mount the rail using screws or lags into the studs. This will give you plenty of weight capacity. Cheers, cc

I've seen these personally. Looks like quality stuff. But pricey.
http://www.gladiatorgw.com /

Go pick up the September 2005 issue of "The Family Handyman"
Cover story is "Dream Garage--A Great Workshop, A New Floor, And Tons Of Storage--All Of It Organized"
http://www.rd.com/familyhandyman/action.do?siteId 11&categoryId`06
John
Sears sells a metal Craftsman wall cabinet that hangs from a metal cleat. If you wait until it's on sale, and collect a few discount coupons in the meantime, the price can be quite reasonable. I've hung four of them over my workcounter. Regards --

On 9/4/2005 8:41 AM US(ET), M.Burns took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

All of the floor/wall cabinets in my garage are oak kitchen cabinets that were saved from a renovation. Been there about 18 years. I hung them up permanently, but I suppose that wall and cabinet cleats can be added for versatility.
--
Bill