Wall gas heater wasteful

This is So Calif coastal. We hardly ever heat, but in the middle of "winter" it's cooooold in the morning in the front rooms where the sun doesn't come in at first.
I can't afford to use more than 2 small electrical heaters (one in bedroom, one in kitchen) or things will blow.
Question: Wall gas heater spends hours heating the ceiling before something seeps down into the large open space living room/dining room.
Is there any point in buying some kind of diverter to focus the heat DOWN instead of up to the ceiling?
If so, any recommendations?
Tx
aspasia wrote in

Reversible rotation ceiling fan will blow air from the ceiling towards the floor.......
aspasia spake thus:

I think that's why they make ceiling fans. (Assuming you have enough headroom for one, that is.)
--
Just as McDonald\'s is where you go when you\'re hungry but don\'t really

you mean having 1000's of people check your information is NOT a good idea?
Mark
Mark spake thus:
[re: my sig]

Not if your information is bogus, no.
--
Just as McDonald\'s is where you go when you\'re hungry but don\'t really
Does your wall heater have a fan? If not, replace it because it is very inefficient.
<aspasia> wrote in message

No, it doesn't have a fan, and yes it is very inefficient. [1] However, I'm not ready to go to the expense of replacing it for the minimal use I would make of it, or any, room heater, given the short duration of our "winter" and my general preference for cooler temps. Nor is the situation worth installing a ceiling fan, but thanks for all for those kind suggestions. [1] When I bought the house, it had two floor furnaces that really did the job. Unfortunately, I left something on one of the grates, there was a fire, and in the process of redoing the house, I -- foolishly as it turns out -- opted for wall heater instead of reinstalling the floor furnaces. (They DID take up a lot of room, but they also heated much better.) Oh well...What with global warming, all this will soon be moot.
Hint: Buy land in Northern Canada...
Sounds like nobody has a good word to say for those clear plastic diverters that are installed at the top of the wall furnace and (supposedly) divert some of the heat down instead of up.

aspasia wrote:

I had a furnace like that when I lived there many years ago. I just used an ordinary fan on those occasions when I used it.
Rich256 wrote:

Why ask a question if your not going to heed the obvious advice. Just get a fan beside the heater and be done with it tight wad. Geez.