Wall-Eye Flashlight to View Wall Cavity

Anyone ever use one of these? I am thinking about getting one for a wall insulating job in my home. Wondering if they work well and are worth the $30.

Buck Turgidson

It looks like a good idea, but most walls have a 2 x 4 across the top.

Reply to
Bob

I think it would most often be used by looking through a small (patchable) hole in the drywall. As far as how effective, you would almost need to try it. The eye relief and field of vision would be important regarding the usefulness of the view.

Reply to
bill allemann

Here's another suggestion: If you have a digital camera, and if you have a hole in the wall that is big enough, you just stick the camera in the wall, take a flash picture, and then review on the screen. Of course if you are just drilling a 1" or 2" diameter hole in the wall this won't work.

Ken

Reply to
Ken

I have a fiber optic wall inspection device. It costs about $300. Even so it is difficult to see useful stuff. I doubt this gadget will do better.

Reply to
Art

But then those cheap vest pocket cameras that I see at Wally World should fit through a 2" hole easily. But if they don't focus closer than 5 ft they might not be too useful.

Tom G.>

Reply to
Tom

No, but I worked at the facility that made the Walleye Missile, during the VN war.. Precursor to all the fancy targeted missiles they have now.

It might work, if you can make it dark in the room you are in. I didn't see dimensions given for it.

But before buying one, try a dental mirror and 150W lightbulb close to your ear.

They also have at HD an attachment to a flashlight that bends around corners. It best fits the flashilight that they sell with it, but I found a way to stick it on my 2AA flashlight. Haven't tried to use it yet, with or without a dental mirror.

(They have metal dental mirrors at hamfests, swapmeets, and plastic ones at radio shack.

Cheaper and probably smaller than this walleye. (named after a fish.)

mm

mm wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Get a flexible borescope from Brownells gunsmithing catalog. Or check Edmund Scientific

Jim Yanik