Wall AC breaker?

Hello All!

Bought this house a couple months ago. One of the rooms has a wall AC with it's own, dedicated outlet at 230 volts. The AC label says to use a time delay 15 amp fuse or circuit breaker. The circuit has a 20 amp circuit breaker. The outlet appears to have #12 wire. To me, it seems it should have a 15 amp breaker. But it's not uncommon for standard outlets to have appliance that consume far less than what the wiring and breaker is rated for.

So should I keep the 20 amp breaker, or go with the 15 amp?

--Mike

Reply to
Mike Fritz

If the AC label says to use a 15 amp circuit breaker or 15 amp TD fuse, that's what you must use, one or the other,_nothing_ higher.

Reply to
volts500

As it is, the air conditioner will fry, thereby protecting the circuit breaker. Wouldn't you prefer it the other way around? Change it to a 15 amp breaker.

Use the existing 20 amp breaker to run a new circuit out in the garage if you have enough room in your breaker box.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Change it out for the correct breaker.

The label is there for a reason!