Walking washing machcine

I've got a recent model top-loading Maytag washer that has started to rotate counterclockwise and "walk" in the spin cycle. It happens with small loads as well as large loads and it doesn't matter if the load consists of big items like sheets/towels or small stuff-- socks, shirts.
Any ideas for a fix?

Most likely the levelling legs are uneven. This causes the machine to wobble and therefore "walk". They are quite easy to adjust. Make sure all four make contact with the floor and then lock the nuts tight.
Special Ed wrote:

You need to make sure that the legs are carrying equal weight, not just making contact. If one of the legs is carrying less weight, the machine will walk. The bigger the discrepancy, the more it will want to walk.
When you adjust the legs try to equalize the pressure you put on the wrench on each leg, then tighten down the locking nuts. If you don't tighten the locking nuts the machine vibrations will loosen the legs and it will start to walk again.
If you have easy access to all of the legs when the machine is in place it's very simple. If you have to pull the machine out to adjust the rear leveling legs it will take some fiddling around - pulling the machine forward, adjusting, then putting it back in place and testing - until the legs are adjusted properly.

Level it. Check your manual, or you can probably find it online. I think most washers today have "self-leveling" rear legs... -----
- gpsman

Yes, IIRC I think my whirlpool from 40 years ago had that, and my current Kenmore from 28 years ago. They might need a little help, by tipping the machine forward so the back is up a couple (2) inches, and then dropping the machine down.
Machines learn to walk when they are little, but after they learn to talk, you should be able to reason with them.

Hmmm...it does have self-leveling rears. Maybe I'll try the "drop" technique and see it that clears it up.
Thanks to all for the advice
Ed
I put one of those recycled tire rubber "Stall" mats under my front loader. It has really quieted my machine down and no movement what so ever.
If the machine jerks around when the spin cycle comes to a stop, then the brake is grabbing too quickly. If you have a warranty or maintenance agreement, then ask about having the brake replaced. It is about a twenty minute job, but requires a special tool to do it.