Walkie Talkies

Page 2 of 2
Interesting. I've never heard of such a thing.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I know this is an old post... But that's how radios work. Even though there's two different codes, if someone tries to talk to you using say code 7 while someone else is talking on code 8, you'll hear a mix of both. Try it sometime. :)

I can believe that the squelch code from one walkie would open mine, while they were both talking. I was figuring on the other sets taking turns transmitting. Not like they would know, in reality. So, the Radar and Blake doubletalk is very possible.
I really like my FRS walkie talkies. Problem is, I seldom have anyone to talk with.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Unless you are outside cellphone coverage, what's the point?
Just use cell phones. WTs are just one more PITA piece of portable electronics to lug around. My camera, cell phone, and walkman are enough.
AZ Nomad wrote:

You don't have to pay monthly fees for walkie-talkies. Not everyone has or routinely carries a cell, or wants to. And out in the boonies or at a crowed public venue, availability is likely to be spotty or non-existent.
-- aem sends...
aemeijers wrote:

Pretty much all of the carriers have some sort of "in network calling" etc where the clock isn't running if you are called or are calling someone on the same carrier. Our plan also includes the ability to add 10 additional numbers from any carrier or landline which are also off the clock. I have never experienced a problem at a crowded venue because carriers plan for that and unfortunately coverage also extends into the boonies. A walkie talkie is just another radio to carry and charge a battery and maintain.
George wrote:

I repeat- not everybody has a cell phone, or wants one. Nor does everyone want to pay the monthly fees, for something they may only need 3-4 times a year. I only have a toy prepaid that costs me 8 bucks a month, and have close to $200 in airtime built up on it, because I use it so little. (traveling or the occasional days I am on call.) No way would I pay $25-30 or more a month for a 'real' cell phone. It lives in my briefcase, and I turn it on maybe once a week to check for voicemail, if I remember. And if what you call 'boonies' has cell coverage, you don't wander around much. Whole swaths of the country only have cell in town and along major highways. It is only in last few years that Park Service has encouraged cell towers in the larger remote parks, mainly to make life easier for their people when clueless tourists get lost. As to system saturation- it is better than it used to be, but they still have to run in portable towers for major events, or lots of people can't dial out.
-- aem sends...

I already have a cell phone. Most people do. Another poster pointed out that WT's don't work terribly well in theme parks where too many people still think they're a novel idea.
AZ Nomad wrote:

Toy FRS walkie talkies won't- real ones will work fine.
-- aem sends..
The business bands should be usable. MURS for example.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
AZ Nomad wrote:

I recently dropped the mp3 player and also the camera for most occasions because my phone can do that. It actually has a pretty decent 5 Mega pixel camera with the only shortcoming being lack of zoom.

Cell phone's all have awful optics and I would only consider using a cell phone camera if there was no other choice. Cell phone mp3 players aren't much better. I know few cell phone's with an 80G drive.
AZ Nomad wrote:

I am quite impressed with the quality of the camera on my current phone. It has decent low light capability, AF, panoramic stitching. The only real thing it lacks is a long lens.
My phone has 24 Gb of memory. Since I have a 4 Gb mp3 player it really isn't any sort of handicap. The main point is I don't need to put my batbelt on if I don't want to and still have acceptable capabilities.
On May 24, 10:44am, "Stormin Mormon"

For 80$, Motorola says theirs do 25 miles. For 90$ 28 miles, around a building over a hill, who knows maybe 100ft.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

They're great around the farm, and we keep one on in every building. It's like an intercom system that way, except you can pick up any radio if an animal gets loose and takes off, and get help looking for it. Also, my son and his wife took a car trip of about 1,000 miles a couple of years ago with a bunch of friends in several separate cars, and the radios gave them a way to stay in touch.
For the price, they're fine and work pretty well. I don't really buy the distance claims, but they work fine where we use them.
My two mile walkies reached 0.7 miles in Rochester, NY, so I'm with you on the distance claims. Car to car, line of sight, should work well. And 14 clean channels. No skip, and no cross channel. Yet. Until someone figures out how to make a cheap linny and splatter the band.
That's a good idea, to keep a set in the charge stands, in each of the buildings. That would make a good intercom.
My church's summer camp uses them for local communications. They have rechargable ones. They were getting some static. But setting the quiet code helped with that.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Here is the fine print on some with the advertised 10 mile range.

1. The communication range quoted is calculated based on an unobstructed line of sight test under optimum conditions. Actual range will vary depending on terrain and conditions, and is often less than the maximum possible. Your actual range will be limited by several factors including, but not limited to: terrain, weather conditions, electromagnetic interference, and obstructions.

All you have to do is find a place where you can see for 10 miles.
At work talkies are used all the time. They are the high dollar comercial 5 watt units. Due to the ammount of steel in the buildings we have a hard time talking 500 feet sometimes. The building is very large (about 40 acers under roof. The talkies work good outside the buildings.
Ralph Mowery wrote:

(snip)
We had that problem too. Campus a quarter-mile on a side, with one six-story wing and one steel-framed 14 story tower, and multiple smaller buildings and service tunnels. Lotsa dead spots, especially below the layer of steam pipes in the basement. I ended up putting a repeater on the roof of the 14 story tower. We can talk over most of the county, now, with 5 watt handhelds. For a situation like yours, they do sell solutions involving little antennas attached to the ceiling in each building, talking back to the base station via your corporate LAN. Mini-repeaters, basically.
-- aem sends...