Walk Out Basement: Ceremic Tile or Laminate floor?

I think you should not take 25 years warranty in absolute terms: think of it like 25y laminate should be better than 15y laminate, but that's about it.

On the other hand, if you happen to live in a seismic area (like California), ceramics on a slab surface may easily crack during an earthquake. And ceramics will certainly cost you more once you take into account the installation.

Reply to
Ikon

Tile transfers cold and feels colder it is harder on the feet and slippery wet. If I wanted cool and lived in Arizona or Mexico tile would be better. Tile will last 10x longer than laminate.

Reply to
m Ransley

While all my friends are laying laminate floors in their slab basements, I decide to use the ceremic tiles as ceremic tile floor:

  1. Last longer.
  2. Don't need to worry about water spills, and would not cost as much damage if basement get flooded from power outage (sump pump).
  3. Less worry about bring dirt into basement from the backyard.

However, laminate floor is more appearing, and feels more comfortable, particularly we don't wear shoes in the main floor.

Now question is, do most people prefer laminate floor, and therefor make the house easier to sell, or sells for more?

We will stay in this house for 20+ years, I hope. The laminate are ususally warranted for

25 years or more. The total cost for ceremic is a little cheaper than laminate floor.
Reply to
G W

I went with engineered wood.

Looks and feels better for a living space, IMO. Ceramic is a superior product in the ways you point out, but it just does not look as nice in the family room in New England. I had thought about tile for accents where the door is and around the wood burning stove that is now on slate. Just figured it may be too many elements.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
Beeper