Wal-Mart fights back

Page 5 of 7

There ya' go, HB, muh man! I know I always break out in wild celebration whenever worker's safety suffers a significant defeat.
How many fingers you got, there, HB?
nb
HeyBub wrote:

Destroying evidence is often not the best idea.

Are you for real? Doing back flips because WW is fighting a $7k fine, for an employee getting killed?
I'll bet you really get your jollies off if you hear of mutiple fatalities at a work place.
Absolutely digusting.
Larry wrote:

It wasn't an employee, it was a shopper. The death of anyone is irrelevant to the ex post facto regulation that OSHA was trying to impose on Wal-Mart.
Had it been a Wal-Mart employee, I'd have sent a sympathy card.

By this response, you clearly didn't read the article _YOU_ posted. I suggest you read it. Short version: It's about a clerk at one of their stores.
OSHA becomes involved because, oh what the heck, you _should_ know. HINT: The "O" stands for occupational.
On 7/21/2010 4:42 PM, Larry wrote:

In case you haven't noticed "heybub" is a gadfly. He/she is just interested in stirring things up not making sense out of anything.
Larry wrote:

You're absolutely right. I completely misremembered. Thank you for pointing out my error.

I have no problem with OSHA being involved. I have no problem with the agency promulgating rules to prevent this from happening again.
But, in my view, it is unconscionable for OSHA to fine Wal-Mart for violating a regulation that wasn't in force when the incident occurred.
I have to go shopping for a card.

Any time there is a fatality within the work place, OSHA becomes involved.
Unfortunately, you're correct, common sense by management in the work place will never be a regulation. Geez, if you have thousands of people waiting for the doors to open, who needs any type of crowd control, when you have a minimum wage worker told to open the doors. Management should set the example, and have the CEO open them, without any type of crowd control support.

And how many WalMarts had been opened on Black Friday for how many years with nary an injury, let alone a fatality? How many since?
and name it after the IRS.

Bet you'd feel differently if someone in your family was this person.
There's no excuse for their reckless, disregard for human life, no matter how many stores they open.

Of course their isn't, but do you think it was a reckless, disregard for human life that caused this? The man was killed by a bunch of greedy customers that wanted to be sure they grabbed the bargains. While it is easy to look back and see ways to prevent this from happening, I'm sure the store manager did not look at the situation and say "he may get killed, but so what, we need the customers"
Just as the automobile was on the road for 60 or 70 years before someone thought it would be a good idea to use set belts, store openings have been happening for decades with no deaths so no one really though to take excessive measures to prevent one. I'd hardly call it reckless disregard.

Being it was a temporary worker, and WalMart did not have any training sessions for crowd control. It's pretty much self-explanatory.

Nonsense, crowd control has been around for a long time, their failure to use it, is their fault.
was a reckless, disregard for

I don't think we know enough about the situation yet to draw that conclusion. If the store is partly liable, the animals that wre outside the door are equally or more liable for their unruly behavior. There should be arrests made.

Store openings have been around just as long. Whatever measures they've used for decades has worked in the past so it was deemed adequate. Obviously, something more was needed in this case, but to call it reckless disregard is over the top.
wrote >> Of course their isn't, but do you think

Actually Ed, we do know. There are several articles stating it was a temporary seasonal worker. WalMart had this person open the doors, because they were as big as a linebacker. WalMart did not provide any special clothes/vests etc, so people would know these were WalMart employees.
Businesses have an obligation for employees to have safe working conditions. If special training is needed, businesses should hire the appropriate personnel, or provide training. You of all people should know this.

Don't know about that. WalMart thought it was over the top, when they got hit with $49 million for disposing of Hazardous Waste in a reckless manner. They had to pay it.
WalMart has a history of thumbing it's nose at regulations, treating women differently, and several other employment violations. It's no secret, look it up.

I do know that. What was not known or anticipated, however, was the amount of training needed or danger the employee was in. What I do not understand is that how you can call it "reckless disregard." In hindsight, of course it is obvious more should have been done, but historically, it was not needed in thousands of store openings around the country for many years. Does Sear or Target offer special training for door openers? .

I was going to make some snide comment about these guys were inside locked doors and the other people were outside which should have given them a clue as to those inside being WalMart employees. But then I realized we were talking WalMart.....
and name it after the IRS.
On 7/23/2010 10:14 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

But big box places know their customers and are also notorious about being understaffed with minimally trained folks. They are clearly the ones who set the stage. Its not like this was a surprise that there could be a stampeding herd. Group behavior is a well know thing. Thats why they put panic hardware on exit doors for example.

Maybe your are correct. I'm sure you have statistics to bear this out. How many store clerks have been trampled to death in the past five or ten years?

How many employees have been trampled to death while working for Walmart on Black Friday while wearing normal street clothes after driving a Ford Taurus, wearing glasses, between the age of 22 and 33, and living within a 10 mile radius of the store? What horse crap
People have been trampled to death by crowds for centuries. Seems like I've heard on the news of someone, somewhere, being trampled and severely injured or killed at some store having an post holiday discount sale almost every freakin' year since I was old enough to pay attention. For Walmart, or anyone for that matter, to act like this never even entered the realm of possiblity is not only just plain ludicrous, but so unbelievable as to destroy all credibility. Black Friday is notorious ...nay, legendary.... for its hostile crowds beating the crap out of each other to get a stupid piece of junk. It's not even the first time Walmart has been in the news over stampede injuries sustained on its premises. You think they are not aware of the danger? Nobody is that stupid. It's coldly calculated hysteria, purposely planned for the exact crowd resonse they acheive.
I dare you to argue otherwise.
nb

so, you don't know the answer.

Yes, crowds should be outlawed

Your opinion based on what you think has happened, but not backed up with facts.

You think Wal Mart is behind the crowds? No, the idiots form themselves, although the stores probably do take some satisfaction in the publicity in garners.

I just did