Wainscotting..

hello does any one have any experience with Wainscotting? I would like to install some on the main floor of my house. I have never done it , I don't have a table saw but am wondering if the Hardware store I visit will be able to cut the pieces that I require if I bring them the measurements.

any help will be appreciated thanks

Reply to
Chucky D

No the hardware store will not be able to cut the pieces for you because they need to be but as you go to assure accurate cuts.

There are different approaches and materials used for wainscoting and different tools and skill levels may be required. For the most basic type, you may be able to handle it, but for the more demanding types, judging from your question I doubt if you currently have the skills.

I suggest you stop by your local library or DIY center and get a book on home improvements that includes information on wainscoting. It will show you some ideas and should give you an idea of the tools and skill level needed.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I agree with what Joseph said. The Internet isn't the answer to everything. Some times the good old library is best. They should have some great reference books on how to do it. Also check your local home supply store. Wainscoting is very popular and often they sell kits or already sized materials for doing it. There are many types of wainscoting. I did mine with lapped wood that I bought in bundles that were cut to size. I bought several bundles of pre cut verticals and several other horizontal pieces for the top cap and toe rail. About as easy as brushing your teeth.

Doug

Reply to
cc0112453

You don't need a table saw.

Take your 4x8 panel, mark it to the right height - something less than 4' - and, when properly supported, cut it with a circular saw.

Erect the result.

Now here's the neat part: Put molding at the top: "chair bumpers." This will cover any oddities in the original cutting. And of course you have trim molding at the bottom.

Reply to
HeyBub