Wainscot around or behind pedestal sink?

I am installing wainscot and a pedestal sink in my bathroom. Previously, there was an existing wainscot and a vanity. The person who did that installation cut the wainscot to fit around the vanity (which was nailed to the wall) and installed a metal strip to conceal the seam. The wainscot did not extend behind the vanity.
I have since removed the vanity and purchased a pedestal sink. The sink top will need to be bolted to the wall between the studs. My question is if the wainscot should be installed behind the sink (and then drilled through for the bolts) or also cut around the sink and caulked. Obviously, it could be done both ways with acceptable results. However, I am curious how a professional would do it. What is the method most likely to result in the most professional-looking appearance? Does the wainscot go on first and then the sink is installed or vice-versa?
Dimitri
wainscot first
I would do the wainscot complete before installing the sink. In my experience, that gives a smoother job all around. TB
snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net wrote in

Not only a smoother job, but aslo simpler, less prone to measuring/cutting errors, and fewer opportunities for water to get into/behind the wainscoting.
David

Thanks for the advice. So this is the proper order then?:
1. Open wall and finish plumbing rough and install support for sink 2. Close wall and install wainscot, precutting holes where needed (dirty arm and hot/cold supply) 3. Attach sink to wall
Does that sound right? Do I think caulk around the sink as well?
Dimitri
snipped-for-privacy@soda.csua.berkeley.edu (D. Gerasimatos) wrote in wrote:

Souds right. I'd paint or varnish the panelling before installing the sink, and I would also caulk around the sink.
David