Waht is the Work area size for in front of Meter Panel (PG&E Green Book)

Does anyone know off the top what the Minimum work area is for in front of a residential Meter Panel?

Our Panel is about 8 feet from the ground and I need to build a platform to get it to the 6' to the center of the meter socket. Though I need to know how big to make the platform. Seems like I heard 30"x36"? Though don't remember which direction. My Contractor Friends that do commercial say its

42", though I think that is for Commercial meter mains.

Any info would be great.

Thank you!

Scott

Reply to
Scott Townsend

If there is any requirement or standard, it in the building code for your locality. The building permits office can tell you authoritatively.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

I found this in case it helps, but I couldn't find anything in it related to work area etc.

Reply to
BETA-32

Okay, let's try this again.....

I found this in case it helps, but I couldn't find anything in it related to work area etc.

Reply to
BETA-32

For some reason, I can't seem to get the link to show up correctly. Here's another try:

I found this in case it helps, but I couldn't find anything in it related to work area etc.

BETA-32

Here is the one I found from my Local PGE Green book reference:

On page 7-9 there is something about if the Meter is mounted above a Cement pad? what is that all about?

Mine is mounted to the side of the house, though we were going to extend the cement driveway around the corner of the house to have a work space for the meter.

"Scott

Reply to
Scott Townsend

Meter panel, or service panel?

If it's the meter, isn't that the power company's problem? If it's the service panel, I'm pretty sure that NEC wants a 3' deep space, a minimum of 6'6" high, and

30" wide or as wide as the panel.

Assuming the same rules apply to meters, and that you measure the clear space from in FRONT of the meter, that puts your platform pretty near 4' out from the building, anyway. Why isn't your meter at ground level, anyway?

--Goedjn

Reply to
Goedjn

Chances are the meter panel and service panel are the same. That's the custom in PG&E's service territory.

Reply to
Bob

I assume you already thought of this, but have you tried calling PSE&G and asking them? You could probably describe the present setup and ask what, if anything, would need to be changed.

If you don't want to tip them off to any unnecessary issues, you could probably not give your address. Or, you could say you are considering buying a property and blah, blah, blah, but say since you haven't offered to buy it yet you would rather not give out that person's address. Or maybe just ask where you can find that type of information -- if it's written anywhere that you can read.

BETA-32