Wagner Paint Stick Thingies Any Good?

I like the concept of filling paint in the handle and not having to continually dip into a tray, but are they any good?

- hard to fill?

- hard to clean?

- leave a good paint surface?

- leaks at seals?

Thanks - jim

Reply to
Jim Wheeler

I don't have a Wagner brand, just some no-brand stick roller I picked up many years ago, when they first came out. I love it! It works great, has never leaked, there's almost never any drips even when painting ceilings, which is what I bought it for. With the extension pole I can stand on the floor and paint for 15 minutes before I need to refill the roller. It fills easily. I finished the kitchen ceiling (20"x22") in less than an hour. Yes, you still have to finish the edges with a brush, but that's true for any roller. For cleanup you really need to use the tub, or at least it's easier because of the length of the tube, but you just keep forcing water through the tube, and it cleans up fine. The roller cleans like a regular roller. Since mine's an ancient no-brand I can't recommend the Wagner, but I love paint sticks. However, as always, YMMV.

Hilary

Reply to
hilary

Ditto on Hillary's comments. The roller cleans up much easier thatn most because the interior of the roller is perforated to allow the paint to flow. This makes the warm soapy water flow better as well. I wish that I'd found this long ago.

Reply to
C & E

In my opinion, nothing Wagner makes is any good.

Reply to
scott21230

I think that when full of paint they are just to darn heavy. I have one and loved it until I bought a real lambs wool roller cover and used it. No comparison.

LJ

Reply to
Old_Boat

On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 01:30:29 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Old_Boat" quickly quoth:

I have another brand of paint stick and LOVE it, especially for ceiling work. It cuts the work and time spent by about 80%!

I haven't used any Wagner products but absolutely everything I've heard about them has been that they're "Nothing but problems."

-- Sex is Evil, Evil is Sin, Sin is Forgiven. Gee, ain't religion GREAT?

Sin-free Website Design

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Ditto on what Hillary said. I forget what brand I had, but I think Home Depot sold it about 8 years ago, maybe now too. I have only used it for latex paint or stain. don't know if oil woudl be different.

I used it outside, while on a extension ladder, so that would have made it even harder to dunk a roller over and over. By the time I needed a refill, going down the ladder seemed fine.

Encouraged by this, I used it in the house, and I also bought the small one, with a pad, for doing trim. I liked it a lot too.

I also bought a second big one so I could have two kinds of paint running at the same time. I eventually cleaned the second one and stopped using it after my transition was complete.

Being the lazy nogoodnik that I am, after a while, I stopped cleaning every day and would just put the first long one and the short one in the refrigerator every night, from around 6 or 8 until 9 or 11 the next morning. I had to rearrange a shelf to do that, but that worked fine too. I did that 10 or 15 nights until one night I left them in the refrigerator for 2 years. That was too long.

I was still able to clean everything but the curved tube that holds the roller. I only have four inches to go, around the sharp turn, and it will be good again. I've tried funneling that latex dissolver (Oops?) into it, and letting it sit, and using a door screen to ream it out, but I don't seem to be getting anywhere. This surprises me because I was able to clean all the rest of it, even after 2 or 3 years.

Frankly, I thought if these things were as good as they claimed, everyone would be using them. Well they are as good as thbey claim, and here I see that quite a few people are using them. Why not more, I don't know.

My father was a dentist and he came home tired every night. Younger dentsts were taught to do their work sitting on a stool, and my father tried that but couldn't get used to it. So he continued to stand. He graduated dental school about 1914. I'm not saying the two situations are parallel, but there may be some similarity.

Reply to
mm