"waffle" pavers?

Anyone know what I'm talking about? Concrete pavers that look like a waffle, or something open... you can set them in your yard to make a walkway that doesn't get too muddy, but grass still grows up through the holes. Or they can be used to make another parking spot, without it looking like another parking spot.

Do any of the big boxes sell them?

What is their proper name, so I can call around and ask?

thanks

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Try this link:

Not sure I'd want them for a main driveway, especially here in snow country, but they are pretty popular in upscale homes down south. Around here, they look like they would be could for an occasional-use driveway out to the pole barn, so you don't have to deal with a big swath of gravel or pavement taking up the yard.

Reply to
aemeijers

Actually what I was thinking was to buy a couple to make a path from the back door to the garage, where there is nothing but yard now. Actually given the weather today - it's been raining steadily since before I got up - "quagmire" might be a better description. Hence my enquiry.

I'm not completely reassured when I see that the pond next door appears to have a water level that looks pretty close to the level of the basement slab. (it was quite a bit lower last night when I went to bed...)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Not sure what the proper name is. Call a few block suppliers or search for "green driveways".

I have seen a few boat parking space locally that were built from your standard old 8x8x16 blocks sit on a gravel base and filled with dirt. A herringbone patter looks better that just placing them in rows.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Those "waffle" blocks need ground prep. Just get the cheapest "stepping stones" to lay to the garage until you decide or not to do something "permanent." I had the same issue getting to my garage. No sidewalk straight to the driveway from the fort door. We wore a path in the grass until I put down a narrow paver walkway. That was a lot of work, even doing it wrong.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

That reminds me of a story about architects who designed a college campus. They put up all the buildings but didn't put in any sidewalks. They waited a few years until the students wore paths in the grass to show where to put the sidewalks.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

They seem to call them many different names:

Open Paving blocks Permeable Paving Units Open cell concrete blocks

SRN

Cool. That's a real good idea.

Reply to
Vic Smith

Except for tromping through the mud for a few years! I can see not putting them all in, but none?

I've put in a few paths and steps the last few years. They seem to build themselves once you get started but you have to get started. And then they grow as you see where they need to go. At least mine never end up looking anything like I thought they would!

It's amazing how you can transform the most useless yard with the right path and patio.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

That sounds like a neat idea! Too bad it probably wouldn't work today, the building inspector and other government agency's would want to know where the sidewalks are going before the first shovel of dirt is moved.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

sounds like a story. Not likely any codes people would allow it to really happen.

Reply to
Steve Barker

I imagine that was where to put more sidewalks.

Reply to
gfretwell

Turfblock, turf block, turf-block. Marcia! Marcia! Marcia! ;)

RicodJour

I've heard it called grasscrete and grassblock.

Very useful stuff on big projects, it saves having to do a lot of stormwater ponds.

Reply to
TimR

Codes for the locations of walkways on a campus? There are none. Sidewalks along a road are a different matter.

The main walkways and sidewalks would be put in, and then there would be the waiting period for the mass of humanity to determine the most efficient location for the walkways. You wouldn't have to wait years to determine where to put the walkways. Half a semester would be plenty.

RicodJour

Urban legend or not, I have read it enough different places to think it has a kernal of truth in it. I lived in a big-10 college town for about

5 years, and still visit once in a while. Yes, kids are like cows- they will walk the route they damn well please, unless a tall fence is in the way. And growing up in construction, I know that if the customer can live with it, it is best to wait till the following spring after final grading, to pour thin slabs like sidewalks. Lets the ground settle down after being disturbed.
Reply to
aemeijers

I agree with Steve but the University of Kentucky does come back and add sidewalks to popular paths on occasion.

Think about it. Think of the house keeping costs saved by keeping the mud off the floors. Makes sense.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

The "urban legend" phrase reminded me of Snopes. Some commentary:

Dean Hoffman

I can see a campus tree becoming a popular gathering spot and needing paved paths leading to it. Same with shortcuts. That's why I paved a path from the front porch to the front of my garage. There's a sidewalk from the porch to the main sidewalk, which takes you to the driveway. But it's double the distance to walk. I've had my eye on another possible paver path we trod quite a bit because of the where my wife plants her flowers. But since the grass shows no signs of real wear and we don't use it when it's raining, I won't bother.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith