Vynal Siding Quality

I want to cover my house with vinyl siding.

Any suggestions as to where I can find the ratings on the various types and brands, and what I need to look for?

Thanks

Reply to
Mike L.

Consumer Reports magazine did a report on them in the last year I believe. Check at the library.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Thanks for the lead

Reply to
Mike L.

"Vinyl Siding Quality" - Isn't that an oxymoron?

Greg

Reply to
Greg

We got hit by a major hail storm as well. My home has some really cheap vinyl siding. Yea, it was identified as damaged by my insurance company. I turned down the chance to replace it. Two reasons; first it was only on one side of my home. The damage was strictly visual, no structural damage and if you did not know what to look for, you would never see it. That side of my home is seldom seen by anyone, including me, second, only one side was damaged. I did not want to put up the same cheap stuff, I wanted to upgrade, but only one side would be covered and I did not have the cash to do the other three sides and upgrade cost. I don't see the need of milking my insurance company for something that really does not need replacement. They did cover the roof fully and help me get the upgrades to the roof I wanted, even before I told them to no bother with the siding.

In any case vinyl is not my first choice in siding, given unlimited cash, but it is a very good economical choice in general. Now the stuff they had 20 years ago was a different matter. I might also suggest that installation makes a big different. Mine was not all that good.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan