Volume question

To make the math easier, I am going to have a strip of land that is

10' wide and roughly 175' long cleared with a bobcat. The land is pretty thick with 8-10 year old pines that are roughly 15' high.

I will have to rent a dumpster to haul away the trees. The bobcat driver thinks it can be done in one load. Can someone ballpark the volume? He said a load cost 285$. Those dumpsters must be a whole lot bigger than I think. It looks to me like two will be pushing it.

Reply to
metspitzer

Why not sell the trees to a paper or wood pulp processor if you have one in your area? He'll arrange to have the trees taken down, hauled off and give you some money too. I think there's even some hinky tax deduction having to do with forest land stuff.

Reply to
Charlie Darwin

Can you get a burn permit? Rent a chipper? Either both of these will reduce the volume, maybe to the point you won't need a dumpster. I have many 4-foot pine logs nobody will take, even offered to load their truck for free.

Reply to
Phisherman

What he said- rent a chipper, or stage the trimmed branches and logs, and have a tree service company come in with their chipper. Less volume to haul, or you could even give the chips away on Freecycle or CraigsList, as mulch or animal bedding. (a local pallet company has a standing ad offering it by the bag.)

Other suggestion, if the pines are pretty- offer the living trees for free, taker must remove. Or are you in a hurry to get that driveway or whatever in?

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

No I am in no hurry. The trees are on the edge of the property that have been walking up in the yard since I have been unable to cut them. I like the idea about giving the pines away for the wood. I called a couple of places and they said 8-10 year old pines are not worth the trouble. I plan to call a few more. They may be 10-12 year old now that I think about it. :)

A chipper would be a excellent idea too if I were healthy enough to run it. I guess I could go to Home Depot and get a couple of day labors. I can take advantage of America's newest renewable energy source. :)

I would be afraid to burn it as there are wooded areas behind the strip I want cleared.

Almost all of the ideas beat the dumpster idea at 285 a pop.

Reply to
metspitzer

Just put an add on Craigslist "Free Wood". It should be gone within a couple of days.

Jim

Reply to
jimmyDahGeek

Been there, done that. Ran a "free wood" Craiglist ad for 3 months and I still have the wood. Peopel call but don't show up. Depends on the area, I guess.

Reply to
Phisherman

Around here, hardwood would be gone it an hour. Pine would be sitting for a few years. It can be burned, but it is a lot more trouble and has a lot more creosote potential. The size of the tree the OP has are not something a sawmill would be interested in either.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski