Voltage detector to reccomend?

Page 1 of 2
Last year, I bought a black and yellow voltage detector, from the electrical aisle at Walmart. I was on the job with a friend. He had one, and it was totally useful. Hold it near a power line, push the btton. See if the line was charged. If yes, it beeps and chirps and warbles.
Mine worked for a couple months, and stopped working.
Harbor Freight had similar one for sale, takes AAA cells. Neon bulb, now days probably LED. Flashes in case of power. Today it didn't work. Not sure if the leaky Energizer cells were the problem.
Anyone have a brand and type, that works and is inexpensive? . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
On 5/9/2013 4:49 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

aisle at Walmart. I was on the job with a friend. He had one, and it was totally useful. Hold it near a power line, push the btton. See if the line was charged. If yes, it beeps and chirps and warbles.

probably LED. Flashes in case of power. Today it didn't work. Not sure if the leaky Energizer cells were the problem.

Maybe get one from Dollar Store or Big Lots?
Find one in the trash can? . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
Maybe get one from Dollar Store or Big Lots?
Last year, I bought a black and yellow voltage detector, from the electrical aisle at Walmart. I was on the job with a friend. He had one, and it was totally useful. Hold it near a power line, push the btton. See if the line was charged. If yes, it beeps and chirps and warbles.
Mine worked for a couple months, and stopped working.

Lots of companies make (or import) non-contact voltage testers. I would look for something name brand that has a decent reputation. I wouldn't go much cheaper than this:
. .http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-Bender-50-600-VAC-Circuit-Alert-Non-Contact-Voltage-Tester-1-clam-5-clams-master-GVD-3504/202867895?N=boff#.UYwYVkqnAXc
Thanks. Ten bucks is what I paid for the one from Walmart, the HF one was about six. I think G-B is a trusted name brand. I may go buy one, some day soon. I figure ten bucks is worth it for a work tool. And one that might save me from a painful shock, too. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
Lots of companies make (or import) non-contact voltage testers. I would look for something name brand that has a decent reputation. I wouldn't go much cheaper than this:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-Bender-50-600-VAC-Circuit-Alert-Non-Co ntact-Voltage-Tester-1-clam-5-clams-master-GVD-3504/202867895?N=boff#.U YwYVkqnAXc
You are already $ 16 into poor quality tools and still do not have anyting worth while. Walmart and HF are ok for the throw away tools, but for an everyday tool, pay a little (lot) more. Especially for the ones that may save your life.
Thanks. Ten bucks is what I paid for the one from Walmart, the HF one was about six. I think G-B is a trusted name brand. I may go buy one, some day soon. I figure ten bucks is worth it for a work tool. And one that might save me from a painful shock, too. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org .
You make a lot of sense. I have to relearn this every few years. Thank you. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
Thanks. Ten bucks is what I paid for the one from Walmart, the HF one was about six.
Not cheapl, but works well. I carried one for several years at work before retiring. Still have it. (Amazon.com product link shortened)
Last year, I bought a black and yellow voltage detector, from the electrical aisle at Walmart. I was on the job with a friend. He had one, and it was totally useful. Hold it near a power line, push the btton. See if the line was charged. If yes, it beeps and chirps and warbles.
Mine worked for a couple months, and stopped working.
Harbor Freight had similar one for sale, takes AAA cells. Neon bulb, now days probably LED. Flashes in case of power. Today it didn't work. Not sure if the leaky Energizer cells were the problem.
Anyone have a brand and type, that works and is inexpensive? . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
Fluke is supposed to be a good brand. Ebay has them from Hong Kong for about $20. Also available from China. I don't trust China stuff.
Decisions, decisions. I always double check with a VOM before grabbing wire, and try to isolate or unplug the circuit being serviced. The volt tester is quick and easy way to see if I'm dealing with tripped breaker or GFCI. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
Not cheapl, but works well. I carried one for several years at work before retiring. Still have it. (Amazon.com product link shortened) 000EJ332O

(Amazon.com product link shortened)
My fluke has the test mode, you tap, it blinks.
Greg
Sounds like a great show, but I don't have any tap shoes. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
rg...
On 5/9/2013 3:04 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

and try to isolate or unplug the circuit being serviced. The volt tester is quick and easy way to see if I'm dealing with tripped breaker or GFCI.

(Amazon.com product link shortened)

Fluke doesn't make anything, anymore. they closed their manufacturing plant several years ago and auctioned off all the equipment.
Paul
You have just demonstrated why you always do Live Dead Live before working on anything that can hurt you.
Live. You first put your voltage checker on a live circuit and confirm tha t it does indeed detect that the power is on. Otherwise, you can get a zer o reading from the circuit you are about to touch, but you have no idea if your detector has died. Which they obviously do, frequently.
Dead. You deenergize the circuit you are about to work on, and then confir m with your meter that it is actually off and not being backfed from somewh ere else, actually on a different breaker, wired backwards, etc.
Live. And then you test your meter AGAIN on a known live circuit. Because as you've proven, meters die all the time, and it may have been dead when you checked your supposedly deenergized circuit.
That's sad to hear. The USA is not doing as well as I'd like. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
On 05/09/2013 02:57 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)
I normally wouldn't trust a "voltage detector" with my life, since I prefer to use a multimeter, but Fluke is certainly a good brand.
Jon
Hong Kong to the rescue. Do not batteries reversely install! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Voltage-Detector-Tester-Pen-Non-Contact-Probe-Pen -/190432511715?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c56a986e3
. Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
Last year, I bought a black and yellow voltage detector, from the electrical aisle at Walmart. I was on the job with a friend. He had one, and it was totally useful. Hold it near a power line, push the btton. See if the line was charged. If yes, it beeps and chirps and warbles.
Mine worked for a couple months, and stopped working.
Harbor Freight had similar one for sale, takes AAA cells. Neon bulb, now days probably LED. Flashes in case of power. Today it didn't work. Not sure if the leaky Energizer cells were the problem.
Anyone have a brand and type, that works and is inexpensive? . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Voltage-Detector-Tester-Pen-Non-Contact-Probe-Pen-/190432511715?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c56a986e3

I also have one like that, but contact, reads voltage. Look at the metal piece.
Greg
Says it has two buttons, for contact and inductance. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
g...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Voltage-Detector-Tester-Pen-Non-Contact-Probe-Pen -/190432511715?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c56a986e3
I also have one like that, but contact, reads voltage. Look at the metal piece.
Greg
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Headline: Mormon dies in electrical outlet changing SNAFU.
--

I met a guy today who said he was addicted to brake fluid!
But he says he can stop anytime.

I bought a cheap one from home depot. I don't think it ever shut off. Battery went dead. I got a fluke works well. I could also use my harbor freight static receiver. Around $15 when I bought mine. You can trace wiring. Does not indicate voltage, and will also sound noise on ground.
Greg