Virginia wants $160,000 back

Page 2 of 2
On Monday, February 10, 2014 3:20:52 PM UTC-5, Lab Lover wrote:

No, I don't see any evidence that they ever wanted all of his property. They just wanted a small portion of the land from the lot his house is on for the additional exit lane. Very common.

Sure you have the right to due process and judicial appeal. So what? You're 80 years old and have lived there all your life. They offer you $250K, because that is what their appraiser says your homestead is worth. You have an appraiser that says it's worth $325K. The typical case here is they won't budge, screw you. They rather start the legal bill clock running, because those that write the laws anc control the process, ie the politicians, etc a lot of them are lawyers. Lawyers are their friends. So, they actually prefer that $75K go to law firms, their contributors, friends, connected, etc instead of just giving the old guy the $325K
That kind of sounds like what's going on here. They already have racked up $35K in outside legal bills, trying to recover $160K, on the *chance* that they might win. It's not like it's clear that he owes them $160K, the trial result could be that he wins.
On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 13:12:20 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

I see the confusion. I was talking about the other scenario of the man who kept his property which ultimately became lakefront property. See the posts from Ralph Mowery.

This has not been my personal experience, most jurisdictions I have encountered are more than willing to negotiate in good faith. However, I have seen homeowners, thinking they have the city over a barrel, make very poor tactical choices and find themselves behind the 8 ball with the jurisdiction.

The state of Virginia sounds like they are very unethical if not downright gangster-like.
On 2/10/2014 5:51 PM, Lab Lover wrote:

--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Monday, February 10, 2014 1:39:52 PM UTC-5, Ralph Mowery wrote:

I don't know about the 10+ miles thing. There are a lot of places where there is a huge differenc in price over even smaller distances. An acre in Hoboken NJ is just a few miles from Times Square for example. Or go out a few miles from say Beverly Hills and you're in completely different areas.
But I do think that in general in these eminent domain cases in the vast majority, the govt tries to lowball the price. And it's difficult to figure out the true value of what they are taking. Like this case, there is already a major highway right after his existing backyard. So, they take enough of it for adding an exit lane, moving the encroachment that much closer. Hard to say exactly what that amounts to. It's certainly more than just saying the whole lot is worth $100K, they are taking 10%, so you get $10K. It's how much it diminishes the overall value, which is subjective.
I think most people would not mind their govts erring on the side of being somewhat more than fair when taking propert like that, ie if you had 3 appraisals, going somewhere closer to the higher ones, rather than the lower ones. But time after time, from what I've seen, they try to lowball it.