VIOP

Page 2 of 2
HeyBub wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I've had a Magicjack for about two years, it's gotten better with upgrades and such but I would not recommend one as a primary phone. I've used it in some odd situations, like I used it on a wireless network to link to a neighbor who had a WiFi router plugged into a stand alone G3 modem that actually got close to 3meg download speeds at times. The Magigjack works very well on this 10meg cable connection I'm on now. It's fun to go someplace that has open WiFi and sit there with a standard phone and a laptop and carry on conversations with folks.
TDD

The cable here has battery backup at their node. It lasted 4 hours after a power failure. Then there was another 28 hours of it not working before they brought out a generator.
BTW, It can be really hard to use the keyboard with this cat "helping".
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us
Mark Lloyd wrote:

There are small stun guns available.
TDD

dont get verizon FIOS the phone part is sucky, and they really dont care.
heck it took 2 months, with me finally calling every day for 3 weeks and esclating the call to the verizon presidents office to get a bad router fixed in my central office that effected every FIOS customet.
about 1 of 12 calls was unusable
they refused t put me back on copper, and wouldnt let me cancel a service that didnt work.
cancel fee was hundreds of dollars
bob haller wrote:

That sounds like the Verizon I know and love... I may show your post to SWMBO, she was complaining about how high the cable bill was... well at least the cable works...
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

copper to fiber), but persistent and polite calling fixed them fairly fast. Key is to have records of what was promised at every step. Also, it is important to spend the time, very unfortunately.
Our problems: Phone: the annunciator light on our Panasonic phone that announces that there is a voice message on the Verizon voicemail was not working right after the switch to FiOS. It had worked on POTS, so there was no reason it wouldnt work on FiOS. Took a couple of calls, butit was fixed within a week and has worked ever since.
Internet: The f'ing router's radio broke after a week. Took 3 hours for 2 techs to get the replacement to work, because they didn't know how to release the IP address so the new router with the new MAC address was recognized. The radio is still weak, so we have another router hooked up as a switch in the living room, and have strung ethernet cables around.
Email: The idiots made our FiOS account a new account, rather than a switch from our DSL. Therefore the DSL email addresses were "lost". I was rather persistent and (probably) annoying to Verizon that I wanted he old addresses. They then indeed managed to "point" the old addresses to the new ones. That cost a whole morning, but has worked ever since - at least I do get spam.
TV: We are still having occasional dropouts of the signal on some channels. Much was fixed by unfastening and refastening the coax connector to the settop box. Probably the old Cablevision coax isn't quite up to snuff. Maybe when I get a new TV I will buy some new wiring.
Billing: This was the most annoying. They couldn't for the life of them get the bills right. I took from August till next February to get it straightened out. I suspect VZ is making oodles of money from erroneously billing people who give up.
We are now saving at least $50/mo in total costs compared with before FiOS. Mainly because we now don't pay the exorbitant Cablevision fees for extras that come free on FiOS TV. Also, we now have nationwide phone service for the monthly fee. No more LD fees on our landline.
Just my experiences. YMMV.
--
Best regards
Han