Vinyl Windows - Am I getting ripped off?

We have a contractor who is installing new windows for our house. I has originally requested Jeld-Wen or Milgard double pane vinyl windows. The contractor then told me that they prefer LBL windows...and I trusted him..however when the windows were delivered, they were Empire Pacific Windows. I asked about this and the contractor then said they no longer use LBL windows as they had some problems with them... Well they installed the windows, but it seems that our house is even colder than when we had the aluminum windows and the sound (we live near a busy road) is even louder, even though the contractor claimed that the new windows they installed would muffle the sound.

Are Empire Pacific 5200 Series vinyl windows comperable to Jeld-Wen and Milgard windows? I checked with our local Home Depot and was told that they are cheaper windows (about 25%), but since they sell Jeld-Wen figured they may be a bit biased.

Thank You

Reply to
kwest

You have to compare certified ratings, for U value, cdf, vlt, shg etc etc are they LowEargon, hardware quality and more, check out both sites. Comparing takes time. Construction quality is another issue. If you specified a certain window and these are less in performance you have an issue.

Reply to
m Ransley

You have to compare certified ratings, for U value, cdf, vlt, shg etc etc are they LowEargon, hardware quality and more, check out both sites. Comparing takes time. Construction quality is another issue. If you specified a certain window and these are less in performance you have an issue.

Reply to
m Ransley

You wanted brand A or B, they talked you into C, and then you let them install D.

You should have done your homework first. Since you agreed to let them install brand D, you may not have any recourse now.

jim menning

Reply to
jim menning

Umm it was not a matter of me letting them install D, that was what was delivered and was half way completed when I got home from work.

Reply to
kwest

Can't tell you about the Empire Pacific windows, but I installed Jeld-Wen windows in my house to replace the original aluminum framed double glass windows. The Jeld-Wen windows were double pane lowE, argon filled vinyl windows. The reduction in sound transmission was surprising and immediately noticeable and the reduction in heat transfer was so great that I decided to not reinstall the storm windows that I had used on the north side windows.

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but if you can't readily detect a noise reduction or a reduction in heat loss, your window are really pitiful... OTOH, it maybe poor installation that didn't thoroughly seal the window frames to the house.

Since you didn't specify a window you had confidence, you probably will just have to live with it. To get any kind of relief you would probably have to prove that the windows were not installed correctly.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

To be exact you would, but any decent vinyl frame window will greatly reduce heat loss compared to an aluminum frame window. One caveat, there are some aluminum frame windows that have a heat transfer break (hard plastic) molded in the aluminum frame which are considerably better than regular all aluminum frames. None the less, even comparing those, the vinyl frame window should be an obvious improvement.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

One thing is if you had double hung windows with window weights. Maybe the weight pockets were not filled. Not sure by aluminum windows you meant storm windows. Also check on a windy day and fell around the windows to see if they leak any air anywhere. Even low end windows should eb a little quieter and energy efficient.

Reply to
arthur.moore

This is good advice. This is exactly what happened with me and very good Harvey windows. The installers didn't fill the old weight pockets---huge amount of air infiltration and heat loss. Pull the trim and see if you can spray low-expanding foam into those gaps. Go easy---only fill 1/3 of the way, walk away and let it expand for 12 hours.

Huge difference once I did this. Also, you could look into installing storms...

Reply to
<bks>

So what was written on the contract, thats what you pay for.

Reply to
m Ransley

if you got a 2 pane with welded frame that alone would have been big improvement. but that low e glass really makes a difference. .. sealing and filling up the cavity around the window is often overlooked and cold air can get in there. i fill the cavity with insulation and or expanding foam. some installers dot pu in anything....... once the guy gets your money your at a disadvantage because youll have to go to court. ..... id be scared to death to sell a guy one brand and bring another brande.

ds549

Then you should have had them stop, dipshit!

Do you have a SIGNED CONTRACT spelling out what kind of windows that were supposed to be installed? No?

Then STFU and take you lumps....

Reply to
Red Neckerson

If someone did not install Harvey windows right let them know. Have used them for many years and have found that they do not like to have their windows installed improperly. Harvey has video tapes and plenty of other installation info to make sure each of us contractors know how to install their windows.

Reply to
arthur.moore

Lovely language and so helpful.

Reply to
kwest

MR Mood:

Hello I am mr mood from holland and I have a computer with a few problems, and I would be gratefull if you could help me to solve those.

Firstly it doesn&#39;t respond to entering the "help and support" button. Secondly the installed "Norton 2005 Symantec virussccanner" does not work or respond, is nowhere to be found in the hidden maps, but is still stored in the software list. And finally my complete "Bureau Accesories" are gone, inclusive "system recovery"

If you know some solutions to does problems please contact me through the following E-mail address: snipped-for-privacy@hetnet.nl

With many thanks.

Reply to
MR.Mood

If I read your post correctly... it sounds like you "mentioned" to your contractor that you wanted Jeld-Wen when you were originally "negotiating" the contract, and he told you they prefer to install LBL. In other words neither Jen-Wen nor Milgard were documented anywhere in your contract.

Did you at least list R-Values and window function similar to the Jeld-Wen in the contract?

Without specifying the exact manufacturer in the contract you have no recourse. If LBL was listed in the contract then hire a lawyer. If your contract didn&#39;t specify things like vinyl versus aluminum, or they must have argon gas, or listed a minimum R-value etc., then you more or less left the entire decision on window selection to your contractor.

If this is the case, I&#39;m afraid you have little recourse. Rule of thumb, (for future reference) if a contractor cannot install or build something specific to your request... then find a different contractor!

I had a customer who insisted I install Pella windows. The customer even specified the series and model number. The windows were very expensive and would increase the total job estimate/cost ("and" would reduce my profit margin on the job!) It&#39;s easier for me to add my markup on a less expensive window. That said, I would have at least made sure the insulation qualities on my choice would be similar to the Pellas. In the end, I installed the Pellas because the customer refused to budge. In all honesty I could have installed a different window with the similar specifications and insulation properties for less money to them (and put more money in my pocket)... but they knew what they wanted. If I didn&#39;t make the arrangements to install the Pellas they would have found another contractor who would.

Next time... Two Rules:

1) "Never forget who&#39;s holding the checkbook" 2) "Get it in writing"
Reply to
eltonnoway