Vinyl window repair

I have a 6 over 9 vinyl window, single hung, and the top window has lost a seal. I am pretty handy and would like to take out the 6 pane window and replace it but have no experience with vinyl windows and can't figure out how the thing is put together.

If it matters the bottom is one of those that can be tilted in for easy cleaning.

It might have been a Philips window.

Thanks.

Reply to
athiker

if you can get the top half out it can be taken TO A GLASS SHOP where they can make a new double pane glass assembly and put it in the frame, fast easy and cheap:))

Reply to
bob haller

Generally on "single hung" windows, removing the fixed half is difficult. MOST vinyl windows have removeable glazing blocks (or stops) on the bars and muntins. Generally they can be pried out from the inside.When the glazing blocks are removed, the sealed units are often mounted in a mastic - which sometimes needs to be cut out to free the glass unit.

SOP is to remove the glazing blocks and measure (accurately) the size of the sealed unit and order the unit before removing the old one. With new unit in hand, you remove the old one, pop the new one in, and reistall the glazing blocks (or stops)

Reply to
clare

Yes, in my previous house, I had a roughly 4' x 4' window seal go bad. Someone told me of a person (company) that did this type of work. I called, a guy came out, measured and returned another day with the new window. But, it didn't fit, so he re-ordered another one, came out yet a 3rd day and did the install. If that was me doing the measuring, I'd be paying for 2 new double pane (or it would have been pain!) units. On a smaller double hung window, I removed the entire upper unit, installed a piece of wood in the opening, and brought it to a glass shop. They made the new unit in a day or 2.

Reply to
Art Todesco

I forgot that a neighbor, in addition to doing car windows, also does house windows.

He is coming Monday to see if in fact it is repairable. According to him some vinyl windows he has seen have stops that are not removable without destroying them and the stops on my window are no longer available.

Thanks to all.

Reply to
athiker

Good reason to buy "industry standard" windows - usually brand name - using a "standardized"extrusion set. Mine are all Rehau extrusions.

Reply to
clare