Vinyl Window - 10 months old - Seam broken!

Hello. I need an opinion on a window problem.

I have 2 big windows. They are double pane (low-E) and the casing is all vinyl.

They are "trapezoid" windows, and each are 78"1/2 by 58"(w) by 66" (and the top is the angled part). So as you can see, those 2 windows are quite big (and heavy). They were anchored on the frame using the built in vinyl flange (with screws).

I live in a 120mph wind zone in Westminster, Colorado. So those windows were framed in a beefy frame, and reinforced with 3 micro-laminate on each side that go all the way in the attic, plus 2 10" shelves above the windows to act as an "H" beam. That wall was certified by a structural engineer and built to specs.

Needless to say, that wall is not going anywhere. We had 90mph winds about a month ago, and the wall performed really well. It shook, but nothing major compared to the previous non-reinforced wall.

My issue: On one of the windows, The vinyl fusion weld on the topmost seam is broken. Split right at the seam.

My question: Are those vinyl seams usually pretty strong? Can they take decent abuse?

See, those windows were custom made, and were cheap. At about $450 each, I was hoping to have them for about 10 years and had no illusions about their quality. But I think I got a weak seam (defect).

Anybody has experience with abusing vinyl windows?

Thanks for any information! CHEERS!

Reply to
Bendit

There are windows designed for high wind locations. Some areas require use of such windows. I think you just found out why. Notwithstanding, you may be able to repair them with vinyl cement. Also if they are the right color you might check Andersen Window site for repair chemicals that might be helpful to you.

Reply to
Art

Thanks so much for the information.

Do you have experience with vinyl cements? Is that a permanent repair? Does it bond pretty well? Thanks again.

Reply to
Bendit

contact the manufacturer at once, any warranty time left?

what does that wall engineer specify for your window construction?

investigate possible need for hurricane shutters on this house? here's a polycarbonate shutter company at:

buffalobill

Thanks for the reply. What a great idea. Polycarbonate is very strong. I do not require any ballistic shielding as there's nothing between my house and the rockies (when it comes to shrapnel). It's all open space. Unless a ground hog gets picked up or something.

I have to call my retailer tomorrow. They were closed today. I am pretty sure there's warranty left on them. I just wanted to gather ammo before I called them. I know they will probably blame it on my construction. At least I read that some retailer did that. We'll see.

The engineer didn't mention anything negative regarding windows when it comes to my plans. He was on site also. You know, the glass panes are so heavy I can barely make them move with my bodyweight. But perhaps I should have confirmed with him.

I can understand the value of shutters, but they do not prevent whole wall movements. I need to analyze the situation. Thanks again for your time.

Reply to
Bendit

Once again check the Andersen site. They sell vinyl cement and patch kits for the grey and white windows. Also goopy fillers. All are permanent fixes.

Reply to
Art

The key to windows is proper installation and flashing. Pella and Andersen have great installation info for their windows on their sites so you can see how windows should be installed.

Reply to
Art