Vinyl undersill trim

I am siding my new garage and installed the undersill trim pieces up against the soffits. The distance between the previous lap of siding and the undersill trim is just small enough that I can't place a new full piece.
So I measure from the bottom of the previous lap to the bottom of the undersill trim. The distance is just enough that when I trim off the nailing flange and the curved 'S' below the flange the remaining piece is not long enough for the snap locks to engage the undersill trim.
I tried to drop the undersill trim down a bit but it would have to be low enough that it would end up leaving an unsightly gap between the top of the trim piece and the bottom of the soffit.
Is there another way of dealing with this problem?
Please post or email. My siding is on hold until I get this worked out.
Thankyou. Jim
snipped-for-privacy@ameritech.net remove nospam to reply

I may have been confusing but the soffit is already installed with the F-Channel and soffit panels nailed into place. It has to do with the gap between the undersill trim piece and the last piece of siding.
I have talked to some friends who suggested using small amounts of silicone caulk to hold it in the areas where the locks won't reach far enough into the trim piece.

*try using a notch tool in the nailing flange, then snap into place. or *J-channel then sil trim or *purchase vinyl moulding to snap into instead of sil trim
do not use caulking with vinyl siding
I had a similar problem. I installed a 1X2 under the soffit, then installed my trim piece. Was able to cut my siding just below the "S" part of the siding. Of course I had to paint the extra wood pieces. Lotta work but what's a guy to do.

Thought I'd let others know what worked out best for me. I placed J-Channel up against the soffit and then installed the undersill trim within the J-Channel. The extra space allowed me cut the siding so it would snap in just fine. It looks good too, almost as if it was supposed to be done that way.
Thanks for all the advice. Jim
On 15 Nov 2003 16:55:07 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@ameritech.net (JT) wrote:

What I have done in the past is a double undersill. that will gain you a quick 5/8".. I also usually put J channel above, as I like the way it looks (brings the trim lines out to the same distance from the house as the corners) You can cheat the undersill down a quarter inside the J, put the second undersill a quarter under that, and before you know it you have gained an inch... that should be enough. any more than that, and you should be able to use just the undersill inside the J and work the piece in.
If it is close, I have sometimes pushed the undersill even farther into the J so the top is pushed into the outside corner of the J (away from the house).. that can gain you almost a quarter, and sometimes that can make all the differance...
Just my thougts....
email: dallyn_spam at yahoo dot com please respond in this NG so others can share your wisdom as well!