Vinyl Siding Thickness Does it Matter?

I'll bet 100:1 that the guy whose phone wouldn't work is on the sprint / nextel network. And yes, my phone works fine inside the steel sided house. It's a verizon. It works everywhere. My FM radio's work fine as do the tv's that are on antenna.

steve

Reply to
Steve Barker

who?

Steve Barker

since when does hail go sideways enough to damage 16ga steel?

I guess he should feel damn lucky he didn't have plastic. It would be completely gone.

steve

Reply to
Steve Barker

stainless steel does not rust. You just lost all credibility.

steve

Reply to
Steve Barker

I don't look like an idiot. And there's plenty of houses in my area with sides over 20'. Including a couple spots on my ranch style house. and yes, you can run the steel continous across these spans. It can't be called seamless unless it is.

steve

Reply to
Steve Barker

me, myself, and I...

Reply to
dpb

Hi, In my city, Calgary, couple years ago hail storm went thru a neighborhood destroying every single vinyl sided house walls like a war zone. Total damage was like ~ 1 billion $. I never liked vinyl which is also very bad against the fire.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

got a sprint phone eh?

Steve Barker

Ok I believe you don't "look" like an idiot. :-)

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Actually Steve, there are many forms of stainless steel and yes it can rust.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

No.

Reply to
dpb

WTF???

You better look up what "steel" means and what "stainless steel" means, also...

Hint--SS is a class of high-Ni/Cr iron alloys...

Reply to
dpb

"Steve Barker" wrote on 31 Jul 2007 in group alt.home.repair:

Steve

According to Steve Barker :

Stainless steel is a variety of alloys of iron with other metals. There's no such thing as "pure stainless steel", because there isn't just one "stainless steel".

There are different alloys/grades of stainless, which have different levels of protection against corrosion.

The stainless steel you see in cutlery is just as pure as any other, but expose it to, say, high temperature caustic solutions, it rusts.

Most "consumer grade" stainless won't stand up to continuous exposure to salt and moisture for decades on end. Or at least, not at 30 gauge.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

According to Steve Barker :

Since when do many people use 16ga steel for siding?

More like 22ga or more (thinner).

Reply to
Chris Lewis

Now *you* have lost all credibility.

All steel is made from iron.

There made be some faux stainless steel that isn't, but I haven't heard of it.

I worked for six years at a steel company. In the office, but for each project they took us on a tour. They make stainless steel like they make other steel. They have a ladle of molten iron and they throw in different additives. It mixes all by itself, but they use an oxygen lance to make it mix faster and to burn off the excess carbon.

The thing that surprised me is that they don't just pour in the additives. They throw in the whole 40 or 50 pound bags of various chemicals, and the paper burns off as CO2 or just adds to the carbon content of the steel. In the old days maybe they didn't make an allowance for this small amount, but now everthing is planned in advance, and samples are taken and analysed while the steel is still in the ladle. In the old days they made 5 or 10 kinds** of steel at this plant, but now they make 100's from thousands of recipes**. Whatever the customer wants. Iron is by far the biggest ingredient of all of them.

Sometimes they throw scrap iron or scrap steel into the ladle.

**Counting different amounts of the same additives as different kinds, but there are also at least 10 different combinations of additives.

If it rusts, then it's

Reply to
mm