Vinyl Siding Thickness Does it Matter?

Page 2 of 2
Steve Barker wrote:

In my city, Calgary, couple years ago hail storm went thru a neighborhood destroying every single vinyl sided house walls like a war zone. Total damage was like ~ 1 billion $. I never liked vinyl which is also very bad against the fire.
If you insist on using vinyl, no it does not make a difference. It could be a half inch thick and it's still going to be junk.
steve

snipped-for-privacy@dva.state.wi.us wrote:

It's 5% in basic thickness. Are they actually the same vinyl or slightly different products as well as simply thickness? If the same formulation, the thicker will be a little more resistant to impact damage but 5% isn't going to make a whole lot of difference. I'd probably judge more on whether there's any significant difference in warranty periods, etc., to decide whether one product was markedly superior to the other in some manner. I think the thickness alone wouldn't be sufficient to judge as I suspect there are other factors as well.
On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 05:03:35 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@dva.state.wi.us wrote:

What does the maker say the difference is. Like dpb, it seems maybe they are different in some other way, not just thickness.
There is definitely a difference in quality of vinyl siding. A n'hood built near me where the houses sold for less than ours has vinyl siding, and even though I see no vandalism anywhere, I see a few holes in their siding (total, spread over 150 houses) , badly thrown baseballs?, ladders leaned against the wall. Plus I see siding blown off, and some of it in the rain runoff "pond" that every new n'hood has to have here. I would go find who is missing the siding, but it looks to me like what I've found got broken also.
IMPORTANT: Buy extra for repairs later. One guy here has chemical or fire damage (not sure) to several of his pieces. Plus physical damage, plus stuff blown away in storms. Etc.
Steel siding interferes with off-air reception of radio and tv, and cell phones, I hear.
You hear? Ever hear it from someone who actually HAD steel siding? Nope. Didn't think so.
steve

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 19:02:54 -0500, "Steve Barker"

Yes, I heard it. I heard it here.

A guy posted here that it interfered with cell phones. I don't remember if he said what kind of siding he had.
For that matter, you just posted and haven't said if you think he and I are right or wrong. Or why you think so, or what kind of siding you have, or if your cell phone works in your house.
I guess a lot of posts here don't give every detail.

I'll bet 100:1 that the guy whose phone wouldn't work is on the sprint / nextel network. And yes, my phone works fine inside the steel sided house. It's a verizon. It works everywhere. My FM radio's work fine as do the tv's that are on antenna.
steve

Steve Barker wrote:

Well, now you have from someone who has...
who?

Steve Barker wrote:

me, myself, and I...
--

> "dpb" < snipped-for-privacy@non.net> wrote in message news:f8m0mo$3ek$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org...
got a sprint phone eh?

Steve Barker wrote:

No.

on it went bad looked like crap, but I can't remember that was before or after it all got pounded flat by hail.
since when does hail go sideways enough to damage 16ga steel?
I guess he should feel damn lucky he didn't have plastic. It would be completely gone.
steve

Since when do many people use 16ga steel for siding?
More like 22ga or more (thinner).
--
Chris Lewis,

Thicker is better. Get as thick as you can. I once seen a cheapo modular house with equally cheap siding on it after a significant hail storm. It wasn't pretty. The siding looked like swiss cheese. If you're not 100% sold on vinyl, then check out fiber cement siding.
Fiber cement is tough and can be had pre-painted. You can also paint it later if you want to change colors. My house has Hardie Plank on it, and I love it. Vinyl, even quality vinyl looks cheap and cheezy next to it. That's just my opinion of course.
the thicker the better,,,, thats what she said...