Vinyl Siding Thickness Does it Matter?

I am doing the installation myself. Using Owens Corning. Is there any advantage to using a .044 verses .042 on traditional double four? Will the installation be better? Will it last longer? Doesn't seem like much difference in vinyl thickness. Price is not an issue. Thanks

Reply to
thomas.jacobs

Well there are certainly differences in quality of vinyl siding. In general thicker is better and it will likely give you a better looking longer lasting and quieter result. When I re-side I will be looking for the thick stuff. Installation plays a very big part in the final result.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

If you insist on using vinyl, no it does not make a difference. It could be a half inch thick and it's still going to be junk.

steve

Reply to
Steve Barker

when you reside, you should be looking at steel. not plastic junk.

steve

Reply to
Steve Barker

It's 5% in basic thickness. Are they actually the same vinyl or slightly different products as well as simply thickness? If the same formulation, the thicker will be a little more resistant to impact damage but 5% isn't going to make a whole lot of difference. I'd probably judge more on whether there's any significant difference in warranty periods, etc., to decide whether one product was markedly superior to the other in some manner. I think the thickness alone wouldn't be sufficient to judge as I suspect there are other factors as well.

--

Reply to
dpb

The both have their advantages and disadvantages. The both come in different qualities. To consider either one junk is a very simplistic response and don't very helpful.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

What does the maker say the difference is. Like dpb, it seems maybe they are different in some other way, not just thickness.

There is definitely a difference in quality of vinyl siding. A n'hood built near me where the houses sold for less than ours has vinyl siding, and even though I see no vandalism anywhere, I see a few holes in their siding (total, spread over 150 houses) , badly thrown baseballs?, ladders leaned against the wall. Plus I see siding blown off, and some of it in the rain runoff "pond" that every new n'hood has to have here. I would go find who is missing the siding, but it looks to me like what I've found got broken also.

IMPORTANT: Buy extra for repairs later. One guy here has chemical or fire damage (not sure) to several of his pieces. Plus physical damage, plus stuff blown away in storms. Etc.

Steel siding interferes with off-air reception of radio and tv, and cell phones, I hear.

Reply to
mm

Thicker is better. Get as thick as you can. I once seen a cheapo modular house with equally cheap siding on it after a significant hail storm. It wasn't pretty. The siding looked like swiss cheese. If you're not 100% sold on vinyl, then check out fiber cement siding.

Fiber cement is tough and can be had pre-painted. You can also paint it later if you want to change colors. My house has Hardie Plank on it, and I love it. Vinyl, even quality vinyl looks cheap and cheezy next to it. That's just my opinion of course.

Reply to
J.A. Michel

Steel in a salt air environment is not advised.

Reply to
sandpounder

Maybe it "don't very helpful" but which would you prefer? A steel armor or a vinyl one? It's a fact that vinyl expands about 40 times more than steel in temperature extremes. It's a fact that the nail holes are only slotted about an inch. It's a fact that if you span a distance greater than 20' with plastic, it's going to buckle in the heat. Not to mention, vinyl looks like shit.

steve

Reply to
Steve Barker

You hear? Ever hear it from someone who actually HAD steel siding? Nope. Didn't think so.

steve

Reply to
Steve Barker

why? it has a baked enamel finish on it. sounds like a vinyl salesman to me...

steve

Reply to
Steve Barker

So, it only rots where it hang on the nail. Still ain't gonna help when is starts falling off the house.

Reply to
Noozer

documentation of such a happening?

steve

Reply to
Steve Barker

Yes, I heard it. I heard it here.

A guy posted here that it interfered with cell phones. I don't remember if he said what kind of siding he had.

For that matter, you just posted and haven't said if you think he and I are right or wrong. Or why you think so, or what kind of siding you have, or if your cell phone works in your house.

I guess a lot of posts here don't give every detail.

Reply to
mm

Well, now you have from someone who has...

--

Reply to
dpb

Steve,

Looks like you're stuck in the 60's, that's ok.

First, have you ever had to replace dented steel siding? I have, you don't unzip the panels like vinyl. You start at the top row, and remove down to the damaged panels. Our company made a small fortune off of insurance companies, doing this.

Second, I work in an area where temperatures are from one extreme, to another. I've never seen vinyl pop, except on poor installations, something you seem to have a grasp on.

Third, I've never seen steel or vinyl panels over a 20' length. And, I've traveled extensively throughout the USA. I had seen someone's brainstorm of attempting to run seamless vinyl, that idea fell by the wayside along with steel siding. You may want to read up on panel sizes, so you don't look like such an idiot.

You act like steel siding makes a structure, tank tough. Nothing could be further than the truth.

Fact is, any siding is a covering, just like floors, counter tops, paint, wall paper, roofs, etc.

For God's sake man, get a gripe.

Reply to
M. Hargrove

[...]

No, someone who lives by the ocean and sees everything rust - Powdercoated Stainless Steel, you name it - inside and out. I prefer stucco.

sandpounder

A guy that I work with has that steel stiuff on his house. The baked enamel on it went bad looked like crap, but I can't remember that was before or after it all got pounded flat by hail.

Reply to
J.A. Michel