Vinyl Siding repair

My vinyl siding is coming off with wind. When I snap it back into place, it does not stay firmly attached. I am wondering if there is some kind of tool to use to punch in the "teeth" that is located on the bottom of the sheet where it connects?

I am wondering how the sheets are suppose to hold at the bottom.

Thanks!

Reply to
Jon G

The bottom of each course should lock into the top of the course below it. If it's not staying put, then the courses are probably not nailed on properly. If you snap the bottom edge of the loose piece into place, does the middle of the piece buckle outward? If so, it's nailed too low and the best fix is to correct that - which will cause a problem with the course above it - which will require the same fix - all the way to the top level. There are punch tools for adding "teeth" to the topmost layer so it will lock into the utility strip, but I don't think this will solve your problem. While you're checking the nails, make sure they're not driven too tightly against the siding, it needs to be free to move sideways when it expands and contracts (this can also cause buckling and pop the lower edge loose).

Reply to
louie

There is no buckling at all, it just seems that the "teeth" are not holding the siding in place. The siding is not falling off the house, it just raises where the "teeth" are.

But, I do get the point here, If it is nailed too low, it will not stay in place. I do not believe that is the problem, but I may be wrong.

Would you know the name of this tool for creating additional "teeth"?

Reply to
Jon G

house,

"teeth"?

If it's not the top course falling out of the utility strip, the punch isn't going to help you at all...

Reply to
Rick

Are you talking about the bottom of the bottom piece of siding. I haven't put up siding for 20 years but isn't there supposed to be a strip nailed to the bottom that the bottom of the bottom locks into?

Reply to
Art

The previous owners of my house that did this earned many bad words under my breath when I had to do some work on the exterior of the house. I wouldn't recommend face-nailing the siding. Not only is it wrong, it also doesn't allow the siding to expand and contract as it needs to. You may not notice the small nail, but you'll surely notice the siding buckling and warping when it heats up on warm days.

Reply to
louie

Its not the bottom piece, it is a section in the very middle of the siding.

Reply to
Jon G

Anyways, my resolution to this problem was simple. I called my contractor, and he sent some guys over to fix it for free.

I am very fortunate to have built my house with this contractor, he solved my problem for me.

Reply to
Jon G

Two storey, but the pieces are reachable without a ladder.

Reply to
Jon G

personally I would place a couple of aluminum panel nails (same color ) through the siding. its not the right way but you will hardly notice the difference between that & ripping ALL the siding off & re applying it the right way.

Reply to
Longshot

Two story house?

Reply to