Vinyl Siding - Insulated vs Std

Has anyone worked with the insulated siding available? Looking for advise on whether it is worth both the expense and having to special order it. Ed

Reply to
Ed Varin

I think sheets of insulating foam covered by standard siding would be better, and likely cheaper.

this way the seams in the siding wouldnt all line up with the seams in the insulation.

plus cover with house wrap too, to keep down air infiltration

Reply to
hallerb

available? Looking for advise on

to special order it.

I looked at it last year and found that if the surface you are covering isn't perfectly flat it won't look right. I had asbestos singles so I decided against it so I wouldn't have to remove and dispose of them.

Reply to
Kathy

-- It shows underneath lack of flatness more then usual (it was a diy job)

-- It's harder to dent and shows a lot fewer defects when it's hit with pool toys, etc.. That -might- mean a little better cold-weather tolerance against breakage; can't really say for sure.

Otherwise, no big deal. The stated R value wasn't all that great compared to what I used in the walls anyway, but for a non-insulated porch, it did help keep some ofo the summer heat out once the ceiling was also insulated.

HTH,

Pop

Reply to
Pop