Vinyl Siding - Furring Strips Only Or Is Sheathing Required?

I want to put vinyl siding on the back wall of a garage. The current siding is wood lap with 4" reveals.

Can I use 16" OC furring strips only or do I need to sheath over the furring strips to provide a solid, flat surface for the vinyl?

There will be a 18" garden bed in front of this wall, so no one will be leaning on it or anything like that.

Thanks.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

What does the manufacturer recommend????

Reply to
hrhofmann

Dunno...haven't gone that deep yet.

I was at Dad's house the other day and the back wall of the neighbor's garage, which is right on Dad's property line, is looking pretty bad. Dad has maintained the wall over the years (scraping and painting) but he's getting to old to do that anymore.

My brothers and I want to side it this summer (the neighbor won't mind) so I just tossed the question out there to see what we would be up against, cost wise.

Some of the stuff I've read doesn't make it clear.

I found this at one site:

"If the walls are uneven (for example, you are covering lap siding), nail 1x3 furring strips 16" on center from the foundation to the eaves. Also nail furring strips around all doors and windows. Shim out any low spots so you have a flat surface to work with."

However, I found this at another site:

"...vinyl siding should be applied over a sheathing that provides a smooth, flat, stable surface."

So, at this point I'm both curious and confused.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Thats typically the best bet. Manufacturers always have installation requirements and suggestions.

Reply to
George

It would not be a good idea to use furring strips and leave voids unfilled and I believe the OEM would most certainly agree. What is called for is a vertically and horizontally flat surface upon which to apply the siding so, having no information about local codes or even what part of the country you're in...

In your case, a stable backing already exists which can act as a nailing surface strong enough to hold the siding. Thus, nominal sheathing is not required as would be if applying to a bared structure frame.

You should however, apply rather inexpensive 1/2in. sheets of foam insulation over the entire existing wall -- usually of the type with a thin reflective aluminum surface upon one side -- shiny side outward. This will provide both, a smooth flat surface to stabilize the rather flimsy siding &, added protection from moisture (mold & mildew). IMHO, furring out existing wall would leave huge voids and likely trap moisture, which contributes to mold, mildew...rot.

When applying the siding, nail lightly enough to insure movement due to normal season expansion/ contraction and breathing of structural components. IOWs do not pound the nails or staples (which I do not recommend) in hard enough to dimple the siding or prohibit lateral/ vertical movement of the structure without tearing out the applique; the same as if you were nailing exterior flanges of a window during installation.

HTH

Reply to
Digger

The proper way would be to strip the old siding down to the studs, put up new exterior grade OSB, a layer of Tyvek house wrap followed by your new siding.

Reply to
Hugh Jass

Thanks..I'll look into that.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Proper or not, it's not my Dad's garage, so it can't/won't be stripped.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

The pros use 1/4" fan fold styrofoam over old siding to get a nice flat surface for the vinyl. Find out if there are some siding jobs going on in your city and have a look at the way it is done. Don't over-engineer it, keep it simple.

Joe

Reply to
Joe