Vinyl Siding Corner Piece Came Off

While roof-raking some of the snow we got last night, the rake got caught on a corner piece of my vinyl siding and pulled it off.

I'm wondering two things:

First, I haven't been up on the roof to take a closer look yet, but do these things just pop into place, or is there glue involved?

Also, I assme the piece that popped off is there for looks and does not actually keep the moisture out, since there appears to be vinyl siding behind it. Just wondering how urgent it is to get it put back on.. I'd like to wait until we get a warm day before venturing out on the roof.

Thanks, Dan

Reply to
lagman

Of course we can't see your siding from here, so any answers are going to be speculative at best.

Odds are it just snaps into place or has a fin or tab that slides behind the siding, although it may have had some caulking added depending on it's purpose. Hopefully the piece is intact and the fin/ tab hasn't cracked off in the cold.

As far as the urgency of reattaching it, that may depend on it's purpose. If wind and/or weather can get behind the exposed siding, then you may want reinstall it ASAP. For example, if you now have an exposed gap between the siding and the house in an area that could catch wind, ripping the siding off, then it would behoove you to put it back.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

When I did mine I bought a tool to put a crimp on the tab so it would stick behind the above sheet. Maybe the installer didn't crimp it enough. They sell the pliers to do that at Lowe's & likely lots of other places.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

It usually hangs by big head nails. The head probably pulled out of the slot. They hang on slots to allow for expansion. The siding slats fit into slots of the end piece. The end pieces to on first and the siding is placed into the slots. It will be some frigging around to replace it and re-nail it.

Reply to
Claude Hopper