Vinyl Siding

Page 2 of 3
On 1/20/2012 6:25 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

The vinyl will look real good when a kid throws a ball against it on a cold day. I've even seen hail take out vinyl when it was warm (the hail doesn't cool it that fast). I imagine even good aluminum will dent nicely bouncing a baseball off it, and that's the kind of thing tenants seem to do when it's not there own property. Wood is good.
Add pictures here
✖

This isn't my first rental property. My other properties are covered in vinyl and have never had a problem and they are all in Halifax Regional Municipality. This just happens to be my first property without siding.
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 18:47:28 -0800 (PST), camryguy

Is the house in Halifax Nova Scotia??
Add pictures here
✖
On Jan 20, 10:50 pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

yes
Add pictures here
✖
On Jan 20, 10:50 pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Yes it is in Halifax Nova Scotia--In the Fairview-clayton park area
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 18:58:43 -0800 (PST), camryguy

South Bedford Basin. Daughter is down South Park area. Close to the harbour.
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 18:47:28 -0800 (PST), camryguy

All I can say is if that is 40 year old cedar it is too nice to cover up or remove!!!! Most NovaScotia Cedar sider homes don't look that good after 40 years - and a lot NEVER looked that good.
Halifax weather is hard on natural wood siding. My daughter says she prefers Winnipeg weather to Halifax weather, but she's got another 6 months to a year left there at least.
Add pictures here
✖
On Jan 20, 11:08 pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I couldn't agree more--My parents house, which is about two streets away is in terrible shape--the cedar siding on one side is cracked and brittle and is beyond repair--They will be siding their house this summer. The front of my property is in good shape, the back needs to be painted. I want something that is extremely low maintenance and will last 20+ years. Halifax weather is terrible to say the least...it is always wet and rainy--or its sweltering and uncomfortable--these extremes are hard on houses and people! Is your daughter attending school here?
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 19:12:06 -0800 (PST), camryguy

If you can get the wood dry, a good coat of Benjamin Moore premium exteriour semi-gloss - can't remember what the coall it now - used to be MooreGlo should last 20 years... Does the back fase the water (house faces west)?
Daughter is doing her Masters at St Mary's Did her undergrad in Winterpeg, and has spent time in South Africa and Rwanda in between.
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 18:47:28 -0800 (PST), camryguy

I've been living with vinyl for the past 30 years. Every summer I hose it off and I'm done.
My wife would like to change the color, but I'm not about to start painting it. I'm getting older, not younger and I don't want to be hanging off a ladder in my 70's.
Add pictures here
✖

Just had our aluminum repainted for the first time 2 years ago, at 36 years of age. Washing it every year for the last 30 had worn the paint a bit thin.
Add pictures here
✖
Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker. Wood is good, but vinyl is final?
The vinyl will look real good when a kid throws a ball against it on a cold day. I've even seen hail take out vinyl when it was warm (the hail doesn't cool it that fast). I imagine even good aluminum will dent nicely bouncing a baseball off it, and that's the kind of thing tenants seem to do when it's not there own property. Wood is good.
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 18:25:46 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I fully agree!!!
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 08:31:45 -0800 (PST), camryguy

What a shame it was demolished!!!!
Add pictures here
✖
On Jan 20, 8:53 pm, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

Yes it was...the house was left abandoned about 35 years ago--I did get a chance to explore the interior and it was magnificent on the inside. It was a pity, but in the end, it was beyond repair!
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 06:40:03 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Dick Adams) wrote:

The picture in #1 looks like johns manville siding - not wood - which takes paint quite well, and the paint lasts a LONG time.
The siding is ASBESTOS cement. Not an issue if you leave it be. Might be an issue to remove - but not serious... Unless there is damage I'd just paint it
Add pictures here
✖
On Jan 20, 1:01 pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

It is wood--Its cedar shake siding.
Add pictures here
✖

My neighbor has cedar shake on a 1800 sq ft colonial.
A few years after he moved in he sanded/melted/scraped off the paint down to the cedar on the entire house, primed and then painted.
He has repainted twice since then, once the same color and just recently a different color. Some sanding down to the cedar each time, but certainly not the entire house.
That's 3 paint jobs in 20 years. Did it need it each time? Not that I could tell, but I'm sure he inspects at his house a lot more carefully than I do.
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 11:33:24 -0800 (PST), camryguy

Check again. The picture shows regular sized (as contrasted with random sized) "shakes". Cedar doesn't come that way, in my experience. There are numerous houses in my neighbourhood that look EXACTLY tile that. All Johns-Manville siding. If I was a betting man I'd say it was a pretty sure bet. I'd say 99.9+%
Add pictures here
✖
On 1/20/2012 6:32 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

That's even better than wood. Holds paint much better.
Add pictures here
✖