Vinyl Screen Door-How To Cut

I purchased an 32" wide solid vinyl screen door, that is to fit in a 32" door casing. The directions say I can cut no more that 3/8" on each side of the door. I would like to cut 1/4" on the side where I want to install the spring, surface mount hinges, and that should give me 1/4" clearance on each side. Does this sound right? Also, what is the best way to cut the 1/4" off one side, so I make a straight cut, and with what type of blade?
Bob Gaudio
message

Measure the actual width of the door before you do anything. It may not be a full 32". 32" may be the nominal width.
I consider 1/8" on each side optimum for a square opening.
A fine tooth carbide or plywood blade, circular saw, rip fence and sawing very slowly (let the blade do the work, don't force it) will give you the best cut possible. Smooth any imperfections with a belt sander or sanding block.
Colbyt

Actually you may need more then a total of 1/4" gap. If I remember right vinyl expands a lot when exposed to the sun. The older vinyl prehung storm doors use to need about a 3/8 or 1/2" gap when hung in the cold and a tighter gap when warm out.
Thanks Colby for all your input on this project. I should have mentioned that the screen door will be installed in a casing inside the garage, in the door between the door and house.
Bob On 20 Jul 2004 00:25:45 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (PAUL100) wrote:

<< I would like to cut 1/4" on the side where I want to install the spring, surface mount hinges, and that should give me 1/4" clearance on each side. Does this sound right? >>
No. The usual clearance that finish carpenters use follows the old nickel and dime rule, thickness of a dime on the hinge side and a nickel on the latch side with a taper towards to stop molding. You are (apparently) fitting the door into an opening, and with 1/4" clearances, the stop moldings will be big thick ugly 1/2" size or better. Better kick back and do a bit more planning on this project. HTH
Joe