Vinyl pool liner.

I have a 32 x 16' inground vinyl lined pool. About 4' worth of 3' deep shallow end, sloping down to 5' for the rest of the pool. The liner is about 13-14 years old, but apparently still in extremely good condition.

Didn't open it last year, but this year we pretty much have to. With the leaves et. al., the volume of crud in it was so bad, that it was thought best to drain it almost completely, shovel out the crud, and then refill/skim/vacuum/shock/etc.

Drained it down to about 6" in the deep end, and cleaned it out.

The vinyl has pulled away from the sides, and there's some wrinkling on the bottom along the sides and in the shallow end corners. The vinyl along the central portion of the pool has not moved.

Assuming that refilling the pool will "reseat" the vinyl, I've started refilling again.

I'm up to about 4" in the shallow end.

Some of the wrinkles have virtually disappeared, and the biggest ones in the shallow end seem (but I'm not sure) to be smaller.

Is it safe to assume that it will reseat? Or should I stop refilling and figure out some way to physically stretch the bottom vinyl towards the corners and thus pull the wrinkles out? How do you do that anyway? Suction cups?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

Damn Chris, it must be that Canadian air, I can't get a liner to last more than about five years, and even at that, they start to shrink and pull away from the bead. I wouldn't even worry about the bottom, just hope it stays on the walls

Reply to
RBM

According to RBM :

The SO corrected me. It's actually 19 years old - installed 1987 ;-)

The water will push the vinyl back against the walls alright, I'm just a bit worried that if the vinyl along the bottom edges doesn't slide back into position, either the vinyl will tear or pull out of the rim ("bead" I guess). Hence my question about trying to "help" the water pressure stretch out the wrinkles. But how?

Reply to
Chris Lewis

Liners usually lose their elasticity and become brittle after a few years. It is not recommended to drain and refill. Otherwise the pro's that I have seen use a shop vac to pull the liner to the wall before filling. I guess there is not much to do except wait and see how it turns out.

FYI: my liner finally gave out this year. Installed in 1987. When I drained it, you could bend the vinyl and have it snap in half.

Reply to
jmagerl

It's history. Chlorine makes the vinyl shrink when you drain them. It will more than likely tear out at the top if you continue to fill. Been there done that twice.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT